Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality amp for HiFi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality amp for HiFi
    Posted: 07 March 2021 at 4:58pm
I run two Crown XLRs on my bass and midds on a 4 way HiFi system but hum is a problem. I use Pass labs amps on my JBL 2450s and slot tweeter. I am looking at getting some balanced amps as I have issues with ground hum. What would you recommend new or used. I don't need vast amounts pf power this is a domestic system. 
I would value your advice the prices in the HIFi scene are crazy.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Crash Crash wrote:

I run two Crown XLRs on my bass and midds on a 4 way HiFi system but hum is a problem. 
Crown XLS?

Those are not highend but hum should still not be a problem. Are you converting from consumer(-10db unbalanced) to Pro(+4dB balanced) anywhere? How long are the signal cable runs? Is there a CATV cable connected to the system?

There are lots of places where ground loop hum could be introduced, do you get hum with nothing(no other cables) connected to the amps except the speakers? If you don't then the amps aren't the problem.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:31pm
https://www.mycetias-audio.co.uk/store/

I can’t personally vouch for the sound but they’re uk made and i have heard good things about them. You’re supporting sound system crew as well. 
blah blah blah blah blah......
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 9:08pm
Hypex modules in your boxes and use digital signal. The new Hypex units are the basis of quite a lot of very fancy HiFi stuff at the moment as they really deliver.
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 4:19pm
Can you tell us some more about your setup? How is it 4 way? Is there an active crossover? A decent active crossover or LMS feeding Crown XLS should not hum. Which Pass Labs model do you have? I use them myself and some have balanced inputs. IMHO there is no pro amp that will sound anything like them!  Mine are almost silent into JBL horns. They are quite low gain so shouldn't be noisy.
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 5:58pm
If you don't have hum with the amp gain controls at minimum check your gain structure.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 7:16pm
I run a 4channel QSC CX404 on my biamp Hi-Fi.  Sounds really good.  Essentially the same design of amp as their THX approved Cinema Amps.

martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 5:36pm
I belive the cx line and the cinema ones you mention are all based on, or the same arcitecture as the plx, one of the best sounding amps I have heard to date, if the sq wise absolutly brilliant lab1600 (old and weak by comparrison) does not tkae its place in my book.

If I recall correctly the plx also spawned the sra series, either way, for me, the plx and lab1600 are absolutely top notch in terms of sound quality, who would have thought a 25-ish years old labgruppen amp could sound so good, don't dismiss the old amps, just saying.

And by the way, I include hifi stuff in this, sad really, amps like these was and is most likely never even looked at for those qualities (fan noise yes I know, but that can be remedied) I think looks may have a part in it as well.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 6:07pm
QSC CX amps are a professional series, well respected, and still current.

Hope you are not same guy I corrected on FB.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 6:13pm
QSC RMX 1450  sound great on hifi, people who know their onions, know why.

So does JBL MPX 1200, and Peavey GPS3400.

I know because had both doing this.

The Peavey is actually 2u version of Crest CA12, with prob best sounding clip/limiting heard on any amp.

E.g. you never hear it working, and it does'nt Square wave drivers, when limiting.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2021 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

The Peavey is actually 2u version of Crest CA12, with prob best sounding clip/limiting heard on any amp.

E.g. you never hear it working, and it does'nt Square wave drivers, when limiting.

Peavey DDT limiting is second to none, I've witnessed a Peavey amp on more than one occasion run for hours with the DDT lights fully lit without any damage to the amp or drivers, and then do it again the next night, and the night after that...
 Post Reply Post Reply