Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality
    Posted: 05 January 2018 at 8:45am
Decided it's best not to comment on anything I've heard in clubs or parties from now on.

When we had vinyl or CD there was an expected start point. Now these poxy digital, "DJ's" are using USB the quality is so variable it's not fair to judge the system.
At a club twice recently and only two out of 8 so called Dj's had a clue about recording their USB stuff. I was blaming the (Logic) system but then DJ changed and wow.
Horrible, stop it, go away *ankers

Yet another move forward in tech that compromises sound. Cheap SMPS, Chinese cabs, Plastic cabs, cheap powered cabs, YouTube recording, horrid sounding low end Pioneer mixers and USB DJ's.

In the mobile type market there is a trend for retro at mo. These guys with their Citronic 110w consoles and period Fane cabs sound tons better than nearly every wedding/band I've been to in the last 10 years.

Rant over

Edited by nickyburnell - 05 January 2018 at 8:51am
It's everything, not everythink!
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 9:18am
Just wait until they start using those streaming contraptions...
In bass no one can hear you scream!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 10:56am
Or Bluetooth monitors, l a t e n c y
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 11:30am
It seems I'm not the only one who thinks that systems at the lower end of things were far better years ago. For instance, the main venue in town has a load of Wharfedale plastic cabs always being driven into heavy limiting by a DJ playing questionable mp3's off a laptop. Years ago in that venue we had a pile of Fane and Celestion loaded cabs driven by a stack of Matrix STR's with nothing but good quality cd's played through it all. I haven't set foot in there for a couple years now unsurprisingly. 

And at a gig I did on black Friday I noticed with one DJ (who was playing off two usb sticks) that on every other track the bass would disappear, I went up to have a look at the mixer thinking that he'd turned the bass down on one channel but no, everything was fine, it must have been crap quality on one of the usb sticks. I questioned him about and he said it sounded ok on his headphones....
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 12:48pm
Slightly off topic, but the amount of solo vocalists I see who download backing tracks from YouTube is disturbing.

I ask them, “do you not miss the bass drum and bass guitar on that track” and they look at me like I’m a knob

cutdown69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 1:21pm
The reason I built my little sound system was due to being fed up with hearing some of my favourite sounds being played and overdriven on poor sounding PA's
I think I got carried away tho, as my scoop heavy sound system is too big to play in normal sized venues..d'oh

Did I read somewhere that young people are now used to hearing heavily compressed music, their brains interpret the rest and so they don't need to listen to high fidelity reproductions, with good quality frequencies across the spectrum, as their brain makes up for it? Maybe that is a regression similar to only having black and white pictures in the past...with the brain colouring it in (err don't think that actually happens)
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Yet another move forward in tech that compromises sound. Cheap SMPS, Chinese cabs, Plastic cabs, cheap powered cabs, YouTube recording, horrid sounding low end Pioneer mixers and USB DJ's.

In the mobile type market there is a trend for retro at mo. These guys with their Citronic 110w consoles and period Fane cabs sound tons better than nearly every wedding/band I've been to in the last 10 years.

Rant over

Couldn't agree more Nicky.  A decent 70's or 80's disco console, some vinyl and a good pair of efficient period speakers will wipe the floor with most laptop djs with their plastic speakers on sticks. So much for progress, a forty year old system sounds better than a new one!

Citronic Avon console,2x110w,and pair of EV Eliminator W-bins  Clap........Versus some plank with a laptop and his 1000w chinese plastic cabs Dead

Give me the retro system all day long.
Be seeing you.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 2:26pm
The last gig I did was about 10 years ago. My buddy and I used to do a duo thing with 2 guitars, vocals and a drum machine. It was around 200 of the local licenced victuallers in the Hannafore Point Hotel (West Looe).

After we'd finished I put mini discs on with disco/dance music and the party rocked on for several hours. Everybody said what a great sound we had from both our live sets and the disco afterwards, including one "Sound Engineer" who was very curious to know where the subs were, and were they linked wirelessly, because all he could see was 2 speakers on sticks and the powered mixer I was using.

The entire system was an AKAI AMX10 which was a 200 a side mixer amp, and 2 x VOLT 8" dual concentrics.

Granted the crowd was older so didn't want the "Make your ears bleed" volume of most gigs, but it's amazing what quality drivers and half decent amplification can do. And the whole system  (Including guitars)  fits in the back of a small estate car.

Edited by markie - 05 January 2018 at 2:28pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 2:27pm
People were also probably out and gigging with WEM columns as well though, just to play devil's advocate Big smile The best stuff always gets remembered before the worst. Survivor's bias. Not that I am defending anyone who plays youtube rips. Should be punishable by being pelted with old beer and bar snacks.
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 3:36pm
Only bring turntables and DJs can only play records Big smile

Pretty sure YouTube cuts audio at about 15khz to save bandwidth so youtube rips miss a lot of frequencies anyway!

S'why I don't like streaming services taking over...people get too used to having music on instant demand, and at a low quality...I'd rather cue up and run a piece of wax any day. You don't know what good sound sounds like though until you hear and notice it...most punters don't seem to know the difference, at least not under the influence...

Hey at least it makes proper sounds with pre amps and record boxes sound amazing in comparison!
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 3:36pm
My covers band play a lot of WMC's...some of which don't really merit the M.....and we are AFFLICTED by terrible DJ's. 64kbps files played through Maplin's finest million-watt £99.99 system, or , *even better than that*, burned onto cheap CDR's and then played back on malfunctioning Citronic dual decks - so they sound terrible, AND skip. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

At the NYE gig the disco had SX300's and a laptop with WAV's, and we all agreed it was the best setup we'd seen all year.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

People were also probably out and gigging with WEM columns as well though, just to play devil's advocate Big smile

As mid tops with Marshall W bins on bottom (Baker loaded) with proper piezos on top and a graphic doing opposite smileys as crossover, they were wonderful!  Honest guv.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>