Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about amp and crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about amp and crossover
    Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:09pm
Hi and greetings from Berlin, new member here!

I have a (maybe stupid?) question but lets say if i want to use two drivers with different frequencies but just one amp and mono, is it possible to use one channel to lowpass driver and another channel to bandpass driver for example? If i use 2 way active crossover. And if so, whats the correct way to wire them starting from mixer to crossover. Danke!!
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:37pm
this is possible and many soundsystems are run in mono to spare amplfier and processing channels.

ruffest way would be just taking one output from the mixer, say L,connect that to the corssover input, connect crossover low output to one amp' channel and high output to the other.

a little bit better would be if you could sum L and R before entering the crossover, some mixer provide mono output, this would loose less information, but still loose some.

digital crossovers (dsp) provide option to sum inputs, that would be ok too, in that cas you take both l and r out from the mixer in the processor, but i don't think basic electronic active crossovers provide this option.

if neither mixer nor crossover has a mono sum option you could build a very simple mono summing box, many plans on the net.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/why-not-wye/
Berliner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:33pm
Thanks for your reply Jo bg! 

I think i need to see if i have some old mixer with mono output somewhere at my parents basement, that will do it then. I have some older IMG Stageline active crossover so it should work with this setup aswell then.
 Post Reply Post Reply