Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about HOG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porygon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about HOG
    Posted: 06 August 2016 at 3:35pm
Hi,
So I have some question to ask you about the HOG :)

Do you have a frequency response with one HOG and another one with 4 HOG ? (or if you want: can I hit 35Hz or 30Hz at -3db with 4 hog ?)
Do you think RCF lf18g401 will be good with this plan ?

I'm really interested in this plan because I love the design of the HOG (It look like a bass cannon :D) and I'll mainly play heavy dubstep, drum'n'bass and dub

Thanks you, Smile
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 4:36pm
Hog gets flat to 30hz with 6 boxes... I think hogs are quite forgiving on drivers tbh,with that one you will get a warm slow-ish sound i think from experience.
Would advise you tho to spill out the cash on some better drivers for start coz you will want to upgrade eventually anywaySmile. b&c sw115 , pd 1850/1/2, rcf 18x451,oberton xb1500/1600 etc...lots of them to choose from.

Porygon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porygon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Hog gets flat to 30hz with 6 boxes... I think hogs are quite forgiving on drivers tbh,with that one you will get a warm slow-ish sound i think from experience.
Would advise you tho to spill out the cash on some better drivers for start coz you will want to upgrade eventually anywaySmile. b&c sw115 , pd 1850/1/2, rcf 18x451,oberton xb1500/1600 etc...lots of them to choose from.

Thanks a lot man !!!
Hmmm idk about the lf18g401 because when I'll start to make my first HOG I'll already have two lf18g401 with their correct ampli.
But yeah thanks for the reply :)

If anyone have something to add....
Ohw do you know some dubstep sound system ? (who play mainly dubstep ?)

EDIT: Wich drivers will give me the best "rumble" (I'm french so I don't know how to say that in english but maybe you'll know what I mean)

Edited by Porygon - 06 August 2016 at 6:22pm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 8:13pm
What amp have you got if i may know?
Dont get me wrong that rcf you got will work pretty good but nothing spectacular. Depends what you after, theres plenty to read about hogs on the forum so get down to bussines :)
In a nutshell, lower EBP and Bl drivers will give you a warmer slower i wont say muddier sound. On the other side drivers with higher EBP/BL will give you a faster more controlled but still weighty bassline,i prefer the latter these days Smile
good luck!
Porygon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porygon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 9:07pm

What amp have you got if i may know?
Dont get me wrong that rcf you got will work pretty good but nothing spectacular. Depends what you after, theres plenty to read about hogs on the forum so get down to bussines :)
In a nutshell, lower EBP and Bl drivers will give you a warmer slower i wont say muddier sound. On the other side drivers with higher EBP/BL will give you a faster more controlled but still weighty bassline,i prefer the latter these days Smile
good luck!

Okay i'll dig the forum in order to learn more about the hog !!
I'll use a Proline 3000 in order to drive 4 RCF !!

What do you mean by EBP and BL (and can you give me some "reference" value in order to know if the BL is high or not) ^^'
Thanks for the information you help me a lot !!

I think when I'll have finish to build my first stack of HOG I'll replace all the RCF by a oberton 18xb1600, some people have tell me that when they are in HOG they are terrible !!!

Thanks you :)
And sorry if sometime you can't understand me :)
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Porygon Porygon wrote:

What do you mean by EBP and BL (and can you give me some "reference" value in order to know if the BL is high or not) ^^'

EBP & BL are two of the characteristics commonly found in the Theile Small parameters of drivers.
There's quite a bit of info about them in Rog's FAQ's, especially the first one. FAQ 6 explains a bit more about EBP.

High would generally be EBP ≥ 130 & BL ≥ 30, though those are not absolute limits, there will be some good drivers that don't quite hit those numbers.
Your G401 has an EBP of 110 and BL of 24.6, so not terribly low (hence Sypa pointing out it will at least be "pretty good"), but not as high as you'd want if you really want the hardest hitting results.

(As a comparison, a classic vented box driver like the RCF L18P200N has EBP 87 and BL 23, those would probably be too low.)

HTH,
David.
Porygon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porygon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by Porygon Porygon wrote:

EBP & BL are two of the characteristics commonly found in the Theile Small parameters of drivers.
There's quite a bit of info about them in Rog's FAQ's, especially the http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq1 - first one. FAQ 6 explains a bit more about EBP.

High would generally be EBP ≥ 130 & BL ≥ 30, though those are not absolute limits, there will be some good drivers that don't quite hit those numbers.
Your G401 has an EBP of 110 and BL of 24.6, so not terribly low (hence Sypa pointing out it will at least be "pretty good"), but not as high as you'd want if you really want the hardest hitting results.

(As a comparison, a classic vented box driver like the RCF L18P200N has EBP 87 and BL 23, those would probably be too low.)

HTH,
David.

Thanks for the FAQ, i'm going to read this !!
And thanks for the information about the G401 ^^

I think I start to understand the difference between a lower EBP + BL and a higher EBP + BL :)

---------------------------------

I have calculate the EBP & BL of some driver and I think the best for me it's the void V1000
EBP = 155 | BL = 34 ....

Thanks you all !!
Have a nice day everyone :)

Edited by Porygon - 07 August 2016 at 4:13pm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 5:07pm
Dont take EBP and Bl now as the only things to look out for in a driver :) Just in my experience these two specs are most accurate when you want to know how a driver will probably sound. Think what kind of sound would you want or best bet borrow ( or buy 1) and try it out yourself.

I say go with the 18xb1600, regarding the specs it sits really nice inbetween the more brutal drivers and the softer ones,plus it has really nice power handling.
Porygon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porygon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 6:12pm

Dont take EBP and Bl now as the only things to look out for in a driver :)

Yes, you're not wrong ^^

I say go with the 18xb1600, regarding the specs it sits really nice inbetween the more brutal drivers and the softer ones,plus it has really nice power handling.

But 1600W :/
Which amp use for this driver ?

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 7:00pm

Dont take EBP and Bl now as the only things to look out for in a driver :) Just in my experience these two specs are most accurate when you want to know how a driver will probably sound. Think what kind of sound would you want or best bet borrow ( or buy 1) and try it out yourself.

Errm, my advice would be to avoid it. I have got one of the neo variants of that driver couple of years ago.
It was sitting doing nothing until a friend of mind asked me to give him the driver as a replacement for a 18NLW9601 until the 18sound arrive for his tapped horn subs.
This is the result after one night of techno/house outdoor party. Powered with Powersoft K10 limited to 90V.

So i am totally disappointed in those VCs.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

So i am totally disappointed in those VCs.

Fair enough, as i wrote last year i also burnt some xb1500 coils. But i know where it went wrong.

That 18sound is  another driver to choose from.
 Post Reply Post Reply