Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QUESTIONS ABOUT POWER DRAW FROM RIG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tantisounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QUESTIONS ABOUT POWER DRAW FROM RIG
    Posted: 06 March 2023 at 1:15am
Hi friends! First post here, we've built a soundsystem - Tansha Soundsystem.  Currently based in Bristol and have run a few successful events so far since finishing the build borrowing amps and DSP of a friend (you know how it is LOL).  I've finally got round to buying the amps we need to run the system and I have a few questions regarding power.  The full rig is as follows:

2 x Othorn tapped horn (B&C 18SW115)
2 x HD15 (Eminence Kappa 15LF)
2 x MT121 12" mids (P Audio 12MB)
4 x Faital Pro 6FE200 6" mids
2 x Compression tweeters (unknown brand)
6 x Peerless BC25SC08-04 Dome tweeters

(Picture here https://www.facebook.com/tanshasoundsystem/photos/pb.100083105353759.-2207520000./136538238994648/?type=3)

Powering / managing all this currently we have:

t.racks DSP 408
2 x Matrix XT7000MF
1 x Matrix XT4004

Currently we're running the system in the UK but haven't tested it with the new amps yet (carrying much more power than the previous amps used).

UK mains power:
  • 3 pins
  • grounded
  • 13 A
  • 220 – 240 V
(more info on UK circuits here https://www.techadvisor.com/article/730261/what-is-the-limit-of-a-13a-socket.html)

3 questions, from someone who knows nothing (yet) about electrics:

1. Is it possible to run this system off of a regular UK mains circuit, or am I going to blow something up? Dead

2. What reasonably priced PDU can I get to cater for my needs?

3. If no to the first question, what's the next step?

Many thanks in advance, if I haven't explained clearly do let me know.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 2:11am
Yeah you are going to need a power distribution system for sure, the specs suggest it will take 74A at 230v to get full output from those amps. You may not be pushing them that hard if most of the drivers are 8ohm but it's still going to be well over what a single circuit can supply.
tantisounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tantisounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 3:19am
Thanks for the help! Can you point me in the right direction regarding finding a suitable PDU?

Edit: Also, where does it state that I'll need '74A at 230v'?

For the 4004 it says:
Average Supply Current, Full load:10A
Mains Connector:20A POWERCON

And for the 7000MF:
Average Supply Current, Full load:32A
Mains Connector:32A POWERCON

am I missing something here?

Edited by tantisounds - 06 March 2023 at 3:34am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 3:38am
You have 3 amplifiers so 32A + 32A + 10A = 74A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tantisounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 4:05am
Oops yes my bad!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 6:10am
Unless you are playing sinewaves into the clip point of each amplifier you wont need anything close to 74A. 

Your voice coils in your speakers will be smoking before you take out a 32A breaker to run the whole system. 

If i were programming RMS limiters to protect your system the approx. Total thermal long term power handling is around 2400W across ALL your drivers. This leaves me to surmise that the average power draw with all amplifiers hitting those RMS limits would be around 12.5A based on 80% amplifier efficiency, short speaker cables and 240V mains.

So, one 32A FDU will be safe for the whole system if you play with venues with 32A supplies available but in reality you would still be fairly unlikely to even blow a 13A plugtop fuse!

By all means go with a 32A 3 phase system or even 125A single phase system if it makes you feel better, but it will be a total waste of your money and will also limit the number of venues that you can play in.

For ready made FDU’s check out VDC, Penn Elcom, Canford, EMO etc

Edited by csg - 06 March 2023 at 6:30am
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 8:47am
hello mate.

will have a 16a Kelsey Acoustics distro up for sale in the next week or two.
might have a 32a one going too.

let me know if you might be interested.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 8:51am
If it puts your mind at ease we ran 10 18s off a 13a on Saturday LOL CSG is correct, rarely do I need more than a 32a supply or 2 for audio 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 9:05am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Yeah you are going to need a power distribution system for sure, the specs suggest it will take 74A at 230v to get full output from those amps. You may not be pushing them that hard if most of the drivers are 8ohm but it's still going to be well over what a single circuit can supply.

Can assure you, despite "published" ratings, those amps combined, won't draw anywhere near 32A.

Kelsey PD7/32 will do the OP fine.

EDIT : As "csg", suggested above.. LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 06 March 2023 at 9:31am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

By all means go with a 32A 3 phase system or even 125A single phase system if it makes you feel better, but it will be a total waste of your money and will also limit the number of venues that you can play in.

For ready made FDU’s check out VDC, Penn Elcom, Canford, EMO etc

For some perverted reason, seems many distro shoppers, are afraid of buying 3PH distros with meters, often opting for more expensive, but very basic Kelsey/VDC 32A units with 13A sockets.. Strange..

Tells me a lot, when I see amp racks with 2-3x "10K" sub Amps, and mid top amps, with incoming mains distributed by "1x" 32A distro. LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 06 March 2023 at 9:41am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tantisounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 12:36pm
Thank you all so much for the feedback, you've really helped! Big love!
 Post Reply Post Reply