Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick question
    Posted: 24 September 2018 at 8:50pm
Alright lads i've got a quick question, which is better for sub between the Proline 3000 and the SAE CA20 amplifiers?

Thanks.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 9:19pm
The SAE is a lot lighter if you plan on hoiking it up a big chimney but the proline should survive use as a demolition ball. HTH
Don't test the champignon sound
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 1:41pm
AFAIK the CA20 is a transformer amp weighing in at 33kg. It's badged up Sound Standard but appears to be made by SAE. Not to to be confused with the lightweight PCM20.
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 7:14pm
But which is better for subs? I know the Proline 3000 is supposed to be a monster cheap amp for sub but i've got the idea that even if you tickle the clip lights it'll kill your subs.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 3:24pm
The Soundstandard/SAE CA20 at 3200w per channel at 4 ohms is significantly more powerful than the Thomann so unlikely to clip in situations where the Proline 3000 is running out of juice. It is a new amp so not many people will have heard it yet. SAE do have a good reputation and it is widely agreed that their PXM1450 is a better amp than the Proline. Hope that helps. Have you managed to get a price on the CA20?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 4:01pm
If you absolutely must get a heavy amp, then SAE MA4800 is the one you want. But it is not as cheap as Proline and the CA20. If no one have it in europe, slow sea transport is the only way to get it here for a reasonable cost. Air fright is uber axpencive on that weight,
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 5:47pm
But the SAE amplifiers are noted on the site as being 40ms burst at 1khz ratings but continuous power or full bandwidth. The amps are to power subs, the price from SAE China is £611 excluding vat which is expensive especially considering their 40ms burst power specs.

Edited by Fred_dibna - 26 September 2018 at 5:49pm
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 5:59pm
The MA4800 is virtually the same spec as the CA20 I was referring to Marjan which is virtually brand new, so don't see it being being cheaper than the MA4800. Of course there has been a CA range branded as Soundstandard for a long time. These were Crest CA clones and I'm not sure they were made by SAE. These were quite a bit less powerful. Perhaps you're confusing the two. Then again, maybe the OP was referring to the old one.

knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

But the SAE amplifiers are noted on the site as being 40ms burst at 1khz ratings but continuous power or full bandwidth. The amps are to power subs, the price from SAE China is £611 excluding vat which is expensive especially considering their 40ms burst power specs.

The problem is that Thomann does not say how the output power of the Proline 3000 was measured.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

The MA4800 is virtually the same spec as the CA20 I was referring to Marjan which is virtually brand new, so don't see it being being cheaper than the MA4800. Of course there has been a CA range branded as Soundstandard for a long time. These were Crest CA clones and I'm not sure they were made by SAE. These were quite a bit less powerful. Perhaps you're confusing the two. Then again, maybe the OP was referring to the old one.

maybe the spec is same, but amps are not same. CA20 is a little biffed up Crest CA18.
MA4800 is something totally different. Basically PCM20 with a Torroidal power suplly.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 8:15pm
We're talking about these two right?

both of these are SAE Class I. Can't find a pick of whats under the hood but the back of the amps have an identical layout

as opposed to one like this which is definitely a Crest clone.

Btw not claiming that the two amps above are the same but that the 2nd amp above is different from the third.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 8:23pm
PauliePaul View Drop Down

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 12:52pm
Contact SP member Hi Grade, he has a MA4800 and is very happy with it. This was my demo amplifier, I may be bringing some more in soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>