Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quick question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

The MA4800 wouldn't run on a single 13A socket though would it playing drum & bass running 4 x 4ohm subs it'd trip breakers. 

13A socket and heavy bass is a big no on any amp.
Some amps will run, but they will not give as much output as they could on a dedicated 32A socket.
Dont get fooled by the fact that they will not tip the breaker, they will still give less output then optimal.

Not true dude. The amp has no idea what it’s connected to until it trips the breaker or pops a fuse, and even then it just turns off, it doesn’t learn. All it sees is voltage and it draws current needed against that.

Many other variables I know but my Soundstandard CA18s clipped earlier on overloaded 10a Australia circuits than 10a circuits where they were the only thing connected. Why I do not know but performance, at least subjectively, did differ.

Is this voltage sag/drop that is causing this?

Edited by vertx - 27 September 2018 at 1:02pm
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 1:50pm
Yes, voltage sag on the primary obviously causes the secondary voltage to drop as well. So amps will not be able to give their maximum rated power and clip earlier.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 9:30pm
So find double wall sockets and then use one socket on each double socket for each amp? Is that what i'm understanding you said?
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

So find double wall sockets and then use one socket on each double socket for each amp? Is that what i'm understanding you said?

Yep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 7:25pm
And that increases the potential for about 19A/240V does it? I mean if the amplifier needs it. 
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 8:24pm
A 13a fuse doesn’t always blow at 13 amps - it will usually hang on until 17-18ish amps. The amp will take what it needs until this pops.
However, if you have 2 bass amps, both pulling 17a for example, and they’re off the same double socket, there will possibly be a fire. Either way you’ll probably damage the socket or look like a dick (or electrocute yourself) trying to prise the plugtop out of the socket when you’ve welded the pins in after a long session. 

So you move one to the next socket, not because of bass, but because of ‘not fire’ and ‘getting invited back’.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 8:35pm
A double socket can put out 19.5A - 20A continuous (the standards require it to handle 14A in one socket and 6A in t'other), but the plug has a 13A fuse (and then some...), so you're realistically limited by what the fuse will pass. 
(The 13A plug rating is the level at which it'll dissipate 1W of heat, considered to be the safe limit.  You can pull more until the fuse blows, but the plug tends to get a bit burnt / melty).
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 11:53pm
Im sure as others will testify you can draw allot more than 13A from a 3 pin domestic socket! Obviously sine waves are transient re.music contet so personally ive achieved peaks of 23-26A albeit with a Void infinite 8 mk2. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2018 at 1:51am
I've burnt out transformers and blown transistors, but I can't ever remember an amp failing because the fuse in the plug blew.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2018 at 3:12am
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

I've burnt out transformers and blown transistors, but I can't ever remember an amp failing because the fuse in the plug blew.
Testify brother... Testify!!!!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2018 at 2:36pm
Ok thanks guys. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

Testify brother... Testify!!!!
Sunny saturday at carnival, amps in full sun, suprised it didn't happen more often. Put them in shade with a fan on after that.  It was a passive cooled NAD so I was asking for it...

It appears to take special effort to pop a domestic.13a fuse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>