Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quiet Speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quiet Speakers?
    Posted: 13 November 2018 at 11:20pm
Hi
Managed to get sound to my ES18s only now another problem has arisen... At the very first opportunity to play them loud (however briefly) I couldn't help but notice that they seemed very quiet compared to others I have heard. I was playing them on their own but of course that shouldn't effect the loudness of the individual cabs. I was playing of soundcloud (forgot my USB with my wavs) into a usb mix controller and from there into the LMS. I at one point managed to get them to a volume I was satisfied with (although not if that were to be as loud as they'll go) only to discover I was hitting the limit on the LMS almost constantly. I'm really clueless to be honest and don't know where else to turn so any advice or things to check will be appreciated.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 1:59pm
Amplifier used? Proper details of setup , please...
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 5:27pm
cable or cab wired out of phase? 

Id open them *all*, methodically and check there's no mistakes. This includes your xlr interlink cables between mixer/ dsp / amps as well as speakon cab cables.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 5:33pm
How are you setting your input levels? (Input gain / gain structure)
mrcheggman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 12:01am
Am using a DB mark DP28, Proline 3000 and stanton DJC4. All the internal wiring is correct and cables look good as well although I am unable to actually open the connector. I haven't touched any of the gain settings and have simply left them at their default values.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 10:33am
is the signal light on the proline flashing? 

Check the levels are bouncing around 0dB everywhere you can then turn up the master on the mixer.

No reason why that set up should be quiet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 10:33am
Worth checking both speakers are wired in phase though

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 11:08am
I'm aware the signal light on the Proline should be flashing but I actually haven't noticed it. I had a play with them indoors yesterday and I was pretty happy with the volume, but could this be because they're inside and may in fact still be quiet?

I'm unsure what you mean by 'wired in phase' because as far as I'm aware phase is something you can only adjust on the LMS? Also, regarding the gain, how can I establish how much its safe and optimal to increase it by?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by mrcheggman mrcheggman wrote:

I'm aware the signal light on the Proline should be flashing but I actually haven't noticed it. I had a play with them indoors yesterday and I was pretty happy with the volume, but could this be because they're inside and may in fact still be quiet?

I'm unsure what you mean by 'wired in phase' because as far as I'm aware phase is something you can only adjust on the LMS? Also, regarding the gain, how can I establish how much its safe and optimal to increase it by?

Maybe I meant wired with the same polarity...

red to 1+ / black to 1- for example on both driver as opposed to red to 1+ / black to 1- on one red to 1-/ black to 1+ on the other cancelling each other out.

Whats your crossover settings?  What drivers are in the es18s?

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 12:08pm
power one speaker only, run it at a reasonable volume, then whilst it's running bring up the channel gain on the other speaker if it gets louder they both have the same polarity if it gets quieter then you have what is called phase cancellation one cone moves forward as the other moves backwards.. Usually caused by the wiring being the wrong way round on one of the drivers
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2018 at 3:34pm
Did you test without mid/high at proper volume? bass cabs alone moves air, but sounds not really loud. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 2:13pm
CChecked wiring and all looks good. Crossover settings have a HPF at 50hz and LPF at 180. Loaded with PD186.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>