Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rack Mounted CD Players

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rack Mounted CD Players
    Posted: 16 December 2019 at 7:33pm
This might seem a bit odd but, I really like rack mounted CD players. The world currently has moved on to CDJ's but I like the simplicity of mounting them in a rack. It also means kit like the Denon 4500 are cheap in comparison.

Am I potentially just spunking money up the wall or am I being a canny retro trend setter? I am not into mixing, getting forwards or anything like that, just an old fashioned reggae sound system kind of guy. I'm also bucking the trend by having Reloop RP7000GLD's instead of 1210's (as decided to keep my Lenco turntable for the house).

All opinions welcome, even if it is just to say "You're being a I am a prised idiotand spend the money on CDJ's".

Rich
No, I really don't know what I'm doing...
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 10:05pm
In my opinion, nothing wrong with rack mount if it suite your requirements.
The only thing that may need attention is replacing the lasers as if its the units im thinking, they are around 14 years old now (only going off the issues Ive had with rack mounted gear!)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Rich99 Rich99 wrote:

The world currently has moved on to CDJ's
No the world has moved on to digital DJ controllers, while that doesn't make rack mount CDs any less obsolete it's not a terrible idea to have one in a rack for the odd occasion it might come in handy.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2019 at 11:00pm
I had a Denon dn 2000 and a 4500 used them for years doing disco. Oddly enough I’ve just ended up with another one that was in a job lot of equipment I bought recently!
Eventually I bought CDJ’s and after which the Denon was pretty much redundant, and I sold it as I couldn’t see myself ever using it again.
If such a unit fits your needs then by all means use one. They were pretty standard everywhere before CDJ’s were a thing and I never had any trouble with mine.

CD’s in general are pretty much obsolete nowadays however I still use them. Don’t t see the point of paying for or otherwise going to the effort to get a digital format of music I already have on CD.

Edited by GAZ. - 16 December 2019 at 11:03pm
100% Earth Moving Bass
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2019 at 5:52pm
Echo what others have said but to add that if you are really keen on having a rackmount CD player set-up but also want digital music, you can always get a DVS unit such as the Rane SL or Denon DS1. They both come with timecode cds and a Serato DJ licence. 

You can still buy new Numark twin CD players 

Edited by djgorey - 18 December 2019 at 5:54pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2019 at 11:11am
I remember 'pro' cd players coming out, before that if you wanted to play CDs you had to bring a domestic player or 2!

Some of the industry-standard Denon twin units struggle with fast-burned CD-R's and you have to be careful no-one snaps the drawers off, seen it many times over the years, if the drawers dont snap then it often strips the gears and spigots.

Pioneer's CMX-5000 and the later CMX-3000 overcame the drawer issue and would play poor cd's much more reliably and cue up/load/play much faster, so those are the two I would recommend; the CMX5000's hologram laser is also longer-living than the sharp and later sanyo ones that denon used.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

DNbshaggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DNbshaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2019 at 12:37pm
I’ve got a denon 9000 twin in a rack that’s fairly redundant but still working perfectly. Sometimes a tabletop setup is just overkill.
 Post Reply Post Reply