Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rave rig history.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 11:35am
I met Steve "Bunty" King (now sadly departed)of Entec once, and he showed me a photo of the system they used for some big outdoor "events".

It consisted of two 40ft dropside artics (one each side of the stage which was a 7.5 ton dropside truck).

Each artic must have had 30 Martin Audio 215MK2 bass bins on it with maybe 15 Philishaves and a similar amount of horns etc.

Everything was all pre-wired with a generator on each artic too.

He said that if for some reason the location for the "event" got changed at short notice then the three lorries could be driven to the new location, and the rig set up in half an hour.
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:05pm
In my experience the big pay doos had massive systems that were never turned up (licensing rules?) and the free party rigs had smaller or mismatched systems that they cranked up to the max.

For example, the early 'lazy' (Lazy House, Sketch, Sign On) posses from the West Country had non brand speakers that you lot would laugh at today but they still did cracking parties for a couple of thousand people.

Later on Vibe from Yeovil used to have approaching 10k but they were all mismatched speakers: so much so, that when we turned up at a party to do a second rig with a completely matched, rear horn loaded rig the guy who ran Vibe was climbing under our tables looking for our amps!

Eze Love soundsystem had a matched EV rig that had 4 18s (or 15s im not sure) in one cab for the sub and 4 10s and tweeters in the mid top cab per side. He also had a '3d sub processor'. Dunno exactly what that was but it was by far the nicest rig around at the time on the free party circuit.

Bedlam was big but back in the day mismatched. The last time i saw them at a squat party in London they had some collosal horn subs and a properly matched system.
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 9:41pm
Mirage Windsor (House of Windsor, Full Monty) 3 floors. Main room, 1500 odd at a push.

4 x Court V baffle 2x18's with mk1 Wembley Blines.
4 x Court 2x15 Doubles with Emmi 300w (yep)
4 x Court 2x12 2x 1". Dont know what mids were but tops were proper JBL.
Infills Martin 215's with Philly mid and JBL top (two stacks)
Court 4 way xover, huge desk and a massive mish mash of C Audio
It's everything, not everythink!
100 volt line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 volt line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 5:52pm
Remember going to a Kaos party at The Ritzy in Leeds circa 1991.  Massive (it seemed to me at the time) Court rig, and DJ Sasha amongst others.

I never did understand Millman's Theorem !
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 8:25pm
Quote Eze Love soundsystem had a matched EV rig that had 4 18s (or 15s im not sure) in one cab for the sub and 4 10s and tweeters in the mid top cab per side. He also had a '3d sub processor'. Dunno exactly what that was but it was by far the nicest rig around at the time on the free party circuit.

EV MTL4 rig

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Quote Eze Love soundsystem had a matched EV rig that had 4 18s (or 15s im not sure) in one cab for the sub and 4 10s and tweeters in the mid top cab per side. He also had a '3d sub processor'. Dunno exactly what that was but it was by far the nicest rig around at the time on the free party circuit.

EV MTL4 rig

Nope, thanks Norty but this was a reflex rig. Bloody loud though, i would not have liked to have picked up the bass bins. Had a fair bit of poke though!
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 3:11am
ouch! heavy boxes, last time I saw MT4 was SSE had laid a pile to rest out in Ibizia, to me great for metalica and sod all use for anything else!
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 9:45am
ev uk at the time built many rigs which where not standard ev products
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 9:18pm
The vault of lsi online has all its editions from its start in the late 70s online as pdfs.. The editions from 1988 to 1993 contain Lots of reviews and technical data from raves.
Seems martin f2 was the standard in the netherlands.

Be Warned: start Reading and you Will be lost for days..
http://www.lsionline.co.uk/magazine/vault/

Edited by Bams - 08 July 2015 at 9:21pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

The vault of lsi online has all its editions from its start in the late 70s online as pdfs.. The editions from 1988 to 1993 contain Lots of reviews and technical data from raves.
Seems martin f2 was the standard in the netherlands.

Be Warned: start Reading and you Will be lost for days..
http://www.lsionline.co.uk/magazine/vault/

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Time to wave goodbye to the last remaining early nights in my calendar…
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 9:34pm
ive got them all in print from 87 onwards...SAD!!!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 10:38pm
Sad? I'd kill for such a library.. Only have a few lighting magazines from the mid- nineties. Nothing can replace the smell of old paper..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>