Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ravehorn update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 12:09pm
Typically its something 'magic box' or 'underdog project' sounding stuff, essentially some gay chappie(s) singing his(their) little heart(s) out about acquiring ass-action cut up with some crass sounding early 90's style dance music.  Or, maybe not so gay, some v-dated euro-pop sounding female vocal dance.  Typically sounds v. promising during the first 5-10 seconds, then rapidly goes downhill, after the first minute you're unsure whether to vomit or cry.  Girls seem to like it & worryingly, alot of men here do too, i'll be wearing my DJ phones tighly & have some d&b pounding my lobes during these moments
  I think most of the deluge of 'awful' dance music in Brasil is the responsibility of a couple of dance music compilations sold out here, forgot their names, something like 'euro-dance vol345' and 'dance hits 2004 vol.1.27e+34'  Basically full of cheap licence crap that the publisher can afford to pedal cheaply enough that people don't buy a pirate copy of.
  I think music tastes here are simply based on what people hear on the radio & TV (again cheap licence crap 24/7). not what they would actually choose if given a wider choice.  So gotta play what people know & unfortunately want, otherwise will go out of business quickly.

cheers,
  Rob
What I cannot create, I do not understand
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 12:18pm
someone sent me a link to this project a couple of weeks ago, I wondered who was insane enough to do such a thing. I hope your club has deaf neighbours with no pictures hanging on their walls
LOUDER THAN LOUD
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 12:42am
its exactly the same here,the vast majority are happy buying $2 doubles,listening to crap pop music,through crappy sound systems,weve only got 2 real clubs in our entire 100,000 person city,with 20,000 students! Atleast one has got martin audio WSX hornsubs
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 6:31pm
It's the booze that does the trick!  The city i'm in & the ravehorn will be in is about 300k with about a 1M catchment area so there's a bit of latitude to play some harder techno, d&b etc..  but not really the masses needed to put on a dedicated techno or d&b night, which is a shame.
  Estimated time of auditory assault is 6 weeks...  in fact it's looking like no infra-horn for the inauguration as i've got to have the sound system checked by a man with a db meter inside & outside the club, he'llno doubt have that bass test CD handy too Also haven't really got the cash spare for the extra amp or drivers b4 we open, have so many other things to buy 1st.
  I've built around 100m3 of 50cm to 3meter deep perforated panel helmholtz traps in a mezzanine floor that faces the subs & ravehorn, but it'll prolly only control 40hz upwards efectively, so for the opening its four 1850 clones cut off 24db at 45hz.  ravehorn will be loaded once we have all the paperwork carefully filed away....
  BTW the name ravehorn comes from the initial name of the club 'rave' but now after a bad response from investors to the name 'rave'  i've called it 'loud' so i guess that makes it a loudhorn

@godathunder:  got 1 neighbour living within 2 wavelengths of the ravehorn, they don't yet know the fear and then after a few minutes (when they realise its not armageddon) anger it'll induce   Amusingly enough, or not,  to have problems with the local authorites we would need complaints from three different residences about noise, but there are only 2 neighbours within earshot   Might buy the neighbours double glazing... or maybe double vodkas would deaden the noise better..

cheers,
  Rob
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 4:50am
i've had similar reports about the quality of music on offer to the masses
in south america, it makes me feel rather sorry for them and glad i live in
uk (shame about the government and the weather).

your horn stage is looking superb rob, particularly the hornresp plot, it's
absoluteley sick! reminds me of that imperial listening room, or whatever
it was called, i know it has come up in discussion here. do you have to
put a hideous delay on the rest of the signals because of the horn length
or is that not how it works?

rave on!

james.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 1:05pm
It's a job deciding how to advance it or delay the rest of the system.  It has to be in phase with the 1850's rolloff at around 45-50hz as hopefully this will give the 1850's a free lunch and couple to them.  there will be two 1850's making up the top part of each infra-horn mouth.
  What i'm really keen to tryout is pretty mad really.  All the music is either generated or passed thru a PC that runs a dj program i've written *blows own whistle*.  I wrote it primarily as an automated jukebox to feed a VJ PC too, but it's progressed so that its possible to mix on it manually (it takes joystick input for some controls & i've made a really dr-who style mixing console, so it really is manual mixing, not pratting around with a mouse & keyboard) & it also has a funky effects system.
  Anyway it has several audio outs, the main mix goes to the mixing desk as usual & there are other outs too, theres a preview for the dj phones, a VJ output, that goes to another PC, that is up to 1 second ahead of the mainmix (so that any lazy VJ software delays can be cancelled)  & an output for the infra-sub, i can adjust the delay or advance of the infra-sub out too (advance only works when the PC is actually decoding mp3's so it just gets the Low-freq from a little further ahead in an mp3 decoding buffer.)
  To cut a long story short i can advance the infra-sub independently of the normal audio chain & feed it anything i like, what i'm hoping for is to write a bass synthesizer to create a lower fundamental than exists in the music (most pop music has almost nothing of interest below 40hz , except low rumblings anyway.)  Failing that i'll just use it as it would normally be used!  Assuming the neighbours dont kill me first.
  The bummer though, is that set up this way means that live bands & guest DJ's won't use the infra-horn, for live bands thats not a problem.  I can quickly re-route the amp to the x-over but that's something i don't want to have to do once a stable setup is up & running.
  If i'm still sane in a couple of months i'll put alot more info about the setup on a website..

cheers,
  Rob
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 12:49pm
eek!

when you have a reasonably short delay between source and rig sound
hitting booth, a crisp monitor sorts business well. i can't imagine what
listening to myself mix a second or so out would sound like.
mindbending i suspect. i'll follow developments and see what you end up
doing.

james.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 6:10pm
when the PC is making the music there'll be no percievable delay (maybe 1/20th of a second or so between what the DJ (me ) does & what comes out of the stacks.  In that case the VJ stuff is taken from a little ahead of whichever track is playing (obviously what the vj box gets wont be correct when theres a transition, but for the bulk of the track it'll ensure perfect sync between the music & what's on the screen)
  Guest DJ's mixing on cd/vinyl wont have the luxury tho , they'll just have to live with whatever delay the VJ software has (prolly just play a dvd in that case, britney ne1!)
  I'm testing the basic functionality now as best i can (at home), here's a pic of whats on screen (big pic, sorry..., its designed to run 1280x1024 full screen,  resizing it looses all the thin spectrum & beat detect scopes)

cheers
  Rob

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 7:15am
Good grief man, that is absolutely wicked. Now you need only interface that to final scratch still somehow and you have a killer app ready for market.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 10:03am
Once its fairly portable i'll make it freeware, GPL stylee, too much work to make a release quality product in such a niche market.
  I'm gonna buy a final scratch setup sometime & will try to tinker with it to make it compatible.  However, I think the easist way to actually connect my software to some real vinyl decks would be to print out a shuttered disc on some acetate film, say 10cm diameter attatch that to the middle of a record & then use an opto switch to detect the deck speed, also feed the audio from it into a sound card to detect when the needle's in the groove (or use a microswitch on the arm)
  vinyl decks are the coolest thing, but i hate the limitations & the shear inconvienience of them, i dont think i could live with final scratch either, as i wouldn't be able to change the software on the fly

cheers,
  Rob

bob.smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob.smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 6:52am
I saw this and thought of you....

http://www.scrounge.org/speak/burwen/index.html

BOB.SMITH
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:14pm
hehe thats like deliberatly sitting infront of several cannons!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>