Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ravehorns first blast in anger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ravehorns first blast in anger
    Posted: 24 December 2005 at 1:49am
well more of a toot really, two spare 18's screwed to a vwedge piece of ply, jammed against the throat of the ravehorn & getting all an 1800w china/brasil watt amp can do.  bridge 2 ohm u know the deal... lots of heat n' not too much wattage actually getting to the speakers
  Just hope the small crowd here drink enough to pay for the extra power it's using......
  Its getting, (the clubs not shut 4 tnite yet  ) 20-70hz  random techno V nice, v phat, but unfortunately a bit lost under the 4 1850's   But producing a much fuller sound & the 1850's can breath alot better crossed over higher, getting some fariy insane neck constriction from the 1850's ATM (hehe mouse is jumping around on the desk)   The horn loaded low freq is different, not sure whether i can say better or worse than big bass reflex/bandpass, indoors prolly identical effect.
  Gonna get 6 or more 12's next year for it & some decent ampidge

cheers,
  Rob
What I cannot create, I do not understand
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 9:31am
it's wasted on 2 18"s rob, and you know it.

we're expecting big things from this project, roll on the mega manifold
loaded multiple 12"s, you knows it.

james.
mardy hippy.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2005 at 12:43am
absolutely, it needs at least 6+ 600w drivers in it to get that much potential trouser flap doing its thing.  Still waiting for TS params for some good looking 10's, prolly just buy 1 & try it, if it looks good get 7 more   Then theres the costly problem of amplification, i want to get 10+Kw into it, looking at building my own class-d sub amp.  Biggest problem is still puttingmonet aside to actually get it loaded properly.  If i knew it would get people to drink more i'd do it tomorrow .

cheers
  Rob
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 4:38am
Save some dollars and just use 5kw,you know its only 3dB
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2006 at 12:22pm
hey Rob - whats your impression of that monster's potential from what you've got so far? - might be tough to guess

what pyschological factors and atmosphere makes folks dump their goods & buy the most drinks in a given time span? - if too fast then pass out too quick - although seen ladies run on autopilot for couple daze

fear makes sober folks spend  - what works with drinking crowd?
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 12:55pm
Alot more potential than it's likely to get i think!  With dual 18's it's got a smoothness that is almost not fitting for a nightclub.  It fills the entire club (~3000m3) with a really warm sensation, makes everything throb (not really vibrate, the 1850's do that!)  It's needing alot more power to produce some satisfying (human) throat constriction
  I'm sort of regretting making the horn throat so narrow now as it really restricts the choice of drivers.  The throat entrance is a mere 500cm2 at its narrowest point (foot thick concrete around that  )  So potentially V.nice efficiency, but once it gets (if it ever gets) some real power will prolly make a fair bit of 2nd order distortion on those peaks (or should i say rolling hills!)
  The ideal setup looks to be 6-10 10" cones with 4" voice coils.  There's only one serious candidate ATM, profissom 10p4, but they are well slow at getting me the info i want (basically xmax & xdam)  When carnival is over here and the profits pick up i'll get one & just run one to destruction to see what it takes!  (new-year to carnival (now) is a very slow time for clubs here, having difficulty paying everything ATM.)
  With ten 10"ers The drivers would be rated at around 7KwRMS so i could prolly drive with around 15Kw of ampidge (that should get ~140dB in the middle of dancefloor down to 30hz)  I'd prolly high pass at 30hz.  I'm a bit hell bent on building my own class-d BCA architecture (check out diyaudio.com: class-d)but with so much to do (including finding a new scope if i do build the amp myself....)
  I reckon the trick to sellin beer is primarily stayin open to 8am (so people have to drink something  ) play what they love for short periods looouud then back off a little for a beer breather (or better still energy drink, same % profit 3x the price ), but not so much they think the nights over & go home though!
  As for autopilot, chicks here seem to last about 3 hours b4 they drop (dancing that is
typical 4am... (with ravehorn+2 18's)  I gotta remember to get pics of the munters with their heads in the 1850's heh!
not a stack-chick, but she's (camilla costa) keepin the party goin....
The techno chicks here are just too fit for techno i think .  Keeps the guys drinking tho.  A far cry from czechtek!  The guys generally last 10 minutes after the chicks go.... A few coke heads & groups all prepared for morning with shades already donned go on until the classical chillout rolls out at around 7:30 -8am & the sun starts to shine thru some of the open air ventilators.  Well freaky when the sun shines thru the haze in the club after spending 8 hours indoors.

Whilst farting around with the system during the night it seems people dance alot harder when i get the compressor clipping like mad & really producing s*it loads of higher harmonics (not much more amp power just alot more harmonics.)  Pump up the high frequencies throughout the night to make up for peoples loss of hearing , including my own.  I usually run 4:1 zero attack 1/3 sec release & that produces a fairly full character to the music.  I don't like the sound of compression that strong, but most prefer (dj's espeicllay) it like that!  The bellringer i use has a dynamic enhancer that wangs the mids & highs back up which seems to hide, quite well, some of the compression artefacts.
  I think with horn loaded mid-bass & mids deliberately clipping is a good thing (for a dance system) to get strong bass harmonics.  The bass harmonics coming from the mids (i guess 200-500hz) really add a crack to the bass.  With this clubs (fairly underpowered bass) system you really feel a 'shockwave' from the mids hitting your chest & throat in time with fast bass.  Perfect for fast dnb, techno & harder psy.  It's not uncomfortable like really strong bass but sounds really hard.  Really gets the munters moving  at 6am

cheers
  Rob

quality control View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quality control Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 9:43am
please!!! show us this ravehorn...
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2006 at 11:50am
search the forum!
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2006 at 12:49pm
i have searched, found nothing. show us!!
hifiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 12:55am
The link to the photos seems to have expired...

http://roborg.freefronthost.com/
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 6:25am
this is a seriously old topic now, the owner of the ravehorn has since sold the club (with ravehorn inside) and moved onto something new (i think). hosting has probably expired.

try to PM Roborg and ask if he can host them somewhere, or if they already are....
Bufan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2006 at 2:04pm

Could someone maybe give a little description of the design? There is sow little information on this "out of space" horn, that one could believe it was made at Area 51... UPS that doesn't exist... Dose it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>