Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RCF ND950 1.4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RCF ND950 1.4
    Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:22pm
Does anyone have experience with them? I'm currently looking for a new high driver. 
Other option is the BMS 4594 but it's more expensive (almost 700,- a pair Shocked)

Horn would be the HF950.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:24am
No one?
Sound Chippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sound Chippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 12:37pm
hi I got a couple of BMS 4594 he and listened to them thru the 18 sound jobbies and i felt like they didnt disperse the sound that well . quite narrow dispersion .. so i boaght a pair of RCF 950 ... sounded fantastic ... much wider coverage . filled the dance floor nicely ...considering it was only one on left and right . thats all i can contribute on the topic , unfortunatly . all the best sure someone has more 1st hand experiance with what info your seeking . all the best Dave
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 1:26pm
I know the BMS is one hell of a driver, but i'm looking at some other (probably a bit cheaper) alternatives.
B&C have some new 1.4" models with a lower cutt-off but not low enough.

RCF uses the ND950 from 650 Hz in there TT5A cabninet.
I've read that the TT2A is a nice box, but the VHF is not that good like the BMS coax.
Knowing that the TT2A doesn't use the ND950 but the ND850, I still don't know anything about the ND950. 

I would like to know how precise the 950 is, and how the VHF is compared to some other drivers (knowing it uses a 4" VC)
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:32pm
Hi Smitske96
i think we follow a similar path Smile i built th18s too (4 now, but still no nice finish as yours)
and i am curious about this driver too, most information i found on peter morris diy and art syntripp threads; there is a mention in there of some german guys using it with one of those boxes.
One concern is that maybe it is cheaper for a reason... although some RCF transducers have good track records, i don't know how it fares against b&c or 18sound offerings, maybe it is built to a lower price point, you buy a 3 inch coil from those manufacturers with the same money vs the 4 inch in rcf nd950.
what's the general opinion about rcf compression drivers? 

to add more confusion and temptation used bms 4590 2" here goes for same or little less money than a new rcf nd950 1.4, problem would be the horn...

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:52pm
For me the 4590 is not a option looking at the weight, and finding a suitable horn for a compact 12" top.
At some French shop, the RCF's are 241 euros..

airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 8:56pm
I did a comparison between B&C DE980TN and RCF ND950 1.4 on RCF HF950 Horn.
Have also some Arta screenshots from indoor measurement.

I liked the sound of the B&C more, although the RCF was not bad.
In the mids the RCF wins because of larger diaphragma (4" RCF vs 3" B&C)
but the overall sound with simple filters is better with the B&C.
So it depends for what you want to use it and crossover point/slope.

Both are good high quality drivers, but the RCF is still cheaper so no bad choice for sure!

I also have the BMS4595ND.
It has easily 5dB more sensivity >8kHz at 2.83V but I never did a comparison at very high levels.
The problem with the bms is that it can sound awesome with some music, but with other music it sounds not so good or kind of "wrong", while the b&c is not perfect but always good and more neutral and honest in my opinion.

Hope this could help
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 7:23pm
http://www.audioxpress.com/article/Test-Bench-RCF-ND950-Neodymium-Compression-Driver-and-HF950-Horn

Sean Hennessey uses the hf950 and de1090tn in his PS212-90lf crossed at 700, he`s also a member on here so he might chime in to report on his thoughts.. the nd950 is used in a peter morris diy60 over here, afaik, other than some required eq they seem to work pretty well in that config crossed at about 700hz doing live RnR..
The "new" 18s nd3s should do fine crossed about 800ish too?
(..waiting for a mate to do some measurements on hf950 and n(s)d1480/nd3st.. will report back!)

bms coaxs generally do sound brighter/louder but, at least with passive xovers, tend to have issues reproducing clean/natural "t/s/z" vocals imo, have not heard them properly active crossed with FIR tbh, that might solve the "issue"..

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:48pm
"t/s/z" and clean is oxymoron, because on most of the titanium drivers, that sound is coming from the cone break up and distortion. But people are used to it and accept it as a norm.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 9:43am
The BMS still have distortion, it's just higher up than in most other drivers. I've heard the RCF, a fair few times in fact… it's a really nice driver.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 7:24am
At the moment I'm looking for a new high driver for my horn loaded tops.
Current horn is the XR1464 with loading down to 800 Hz, I can get some Beyma cp755ti drivers for a nice amount. So I'm curious if someone has any experience using them down to 800 Hz.

Otherwise, i'll probably choose for the ND950 1.4
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

bms coaxs generally do sound brighter/louder but, at least with passive xovers, tend to have issues reproducing clean/natural "t/s/z" vocals imo, have not heard them properly active crossed with FIR tbh, that might solve the "issue"..

Starting point in my case was large 80x40deg. 1.4" quadratic throat waveguide with generous mouth round offs. I solved the sibilant area issues with bms 4594 by adding some material after first 5-to 10 cm from horn throat, end result is bit like modern JBL PT-series horn shape in my horn throat area. The idea is to give the hf part more mechanical loading. Started experimenting horn throat shape modifications with large lumps of plasticine and piece of 32mm tube as "wave sculpting tool"LOL.

I also didn't like the sound of factory stock passive 6300Hz network, so I rolled my own 18dB passive Hp and Lp. Hardest part was to have the phases of hf and vhf to track each other suitably wide area with 6 passive components.
torturing electrons since ......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>