Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rear port and front port air velocity in WinISD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear port and front port air velocity in WinISD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear port and front port air velocity in WinISD
    Posted: 20 March 2021 at 10:00pm
Hello,
I have a question about WinISD's front port and rear port velocity.
I'm simulating a woofer for a 2 way bookshlef loudspeaker and I want it vented.
I'd like to put the vent in the front (for what I've read, placement does not matter as long as it is closer than 1/4 of the wavelength of the box tuning from the woofer, wich for me is 80 Hz, so like 1,06m something).
But, WinISD only simulates the air velocity for a rear vent, not a front vent (I think it's reserved for 4th order bandpass).
Is it ok to use the rear graph simulation for a vent that will be in the front ?
If I put the vent in the front, is the frequency response simulated (i.e for a rear vent) still revelant ?
TheAmazingGanjaMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheAmazingGanjaMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:19am
its referring to the port being attached to the chamber on the rear of the driver (ur bandpass assumption is correct)
Burn Baby Burn Voice Coil Inferno
ssbb1fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:14pm
Thanks, but then,
Is it ok to use the rear graph simulation for a vent that will be in the front ?
If I put the vent in the front, is the frequency response simulated (i.e for a rear vent) still revelant ?
TheAmazingGanjaMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheAmazingGanjaMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 4:38pm
a reflex box doesnt have a front chamber to put a port in, it is the rear chamber port not a port on the back of the box 
Burn Baby Burn Voice Coil Inferno
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2021 at 8:24pm
If you want to sim the port placement you would have to use a more advanced program such as Hornresp. But for port in the front baffle WinISD should be good enough.
Always best to measure impedance vs frequency on the cabinet to check the tuning is not way off.
 Post Reply Post Reply