Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recone help distortion but no rubbing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 7:34pm
No visable raising of the coil windings John, but slightly loose,so wether was insufficient glue in manufacture,or failure due to heat i dont know,but no sign of burning or scorching,so i assume faulty glueing,or lack of it.
Be seeing you.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 9:42pm
JJust wondering what glue is used on VC formers, high temp for sure. Is it readily available? In another thread, mention was made of the rewind guys. Wonder what they use?/might ask Wembley.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 10:30pm
Ps, you do realize elements of the thread title sound like the average marriage breakdown???
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

No visable raising of the coil windings John, but slightly loose,so wether was insufficient glue in manufacture,or failure due to heat i dont know,but no sign of burning or scorching,so i assume faulty glueing,or lack of it.
Interesting that you found it on a number of different manufacturer's products. I would have thought, for this to have happened, that there would be some sign of overheating. I didn't have much experience of pulling speakers apart, as I couldn't afford not to be careful. I had the DC 300A and 2x Gauss 5840s. Repairs weren't cheap! Mids were Fane Colossus, never blew one, tops were Fane 920s. Thankfully, diaphragms were reasonably cheap and Fane's service was excellent.
I digress. Perhaps it was something to do with technology of adhesives. Amplifier technology was producing greater levels of power, speakers were running hotter, with higher handling power, perhaps it was simply the glue melting, they were probably still using the same type of product, as in previous products, possibly, all buying from the same manufacturer.
Today, there's a massive range of different adhesives, recommended for different purposes, it's enough to give you a blinding headache, trying to decide which one to use!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12