Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reduce the back volume of a mid horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 12:07pm
damn, I see this change very difficult :(

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 12:58pm
Bad part is that you cant measure the original driver :(
Btw. Some wizards recone leaving old membrane. Maybe this would be a way to go.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 1:36pm
I have two of these boxes, one with a burnt driver, and one still working. let's talk about stuff produced in 1985!
The recone kit can only be found for new versions.
At the practical test the neodymium rcf cone is less efficient than the original, but has a power handling more than 3 times higher (700w instead of 200w)
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Angelow Angelow wrote:

I have two of these boxes, one with a burnt driver, and one still working. let's talk about stuff produced in 1985!
The recone kit can only be found for new versions.
At the practical test the neodymium rcf cone is less efficient than the original, but has a power handling more than 3 times higher (700w instead of 200w)

In the 1980’s, “Bigger Is Better” was the concept. Large horns with high efficient speakers were common.

Today, smaller and easier to transport is the concept. Efficiency is traded off for more power handling in which, you can make up the loss in efficiency by high wattage amplifiers to, achieve greater SPL.  

Those are very good horns you have there. You should get far better coverage horizontally with those boxes than the majority who build their own horn-loaded mid cabs.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 5:55pm
with the neodymium rcf woofer according to you how much can I cut down?
I would have thought a cut at the top 800 / 1000hz with a driver 2 "

How many liters can the box be big?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 6:29pm

Personally, I would not cut it. All you are going to do is destroy the box's performance. What little chamber that is left to extend the low frequency response of the 12 inch driver is needed. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 10:22am
but below I have the tham 15 mk2! sounds good at 150hz or better still at 120hz, 180hz already loses a bit, a horn like that can make 150hz?
I would not want the 12 to be destroyed by over-excursion!

if I calculate with a winisd a volume per room closed as a midrange is that volume behind the horn?

thankxxss!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 11:11am

You would have to scale the internal chamber of the horn in WinISD to determine what the 12 inch is seeing in terms of frequency response. It may be best to just create a new smaller box for the horn instead since you pulled the horn out of the old box. This will allow you to compare the old design to the new design (Hear the difference) which, will tell you how much low frequency loss will come into play by using a smaller box. 

The above would be the safe method instead of butchering an old box based on opinions of others who have no on hands experience owning such a design. 

When it comes to such modifications you are really on your own to determine if downsizing a cabinet will meet up to your requirements from a sound quality standpoint.

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 11:55am
What for scaling down the rear chamber?

Make it smaller as you want. Chamber standing wave should be higher than bandwitch. In current size it will be in the bandwidth but not always you can notice the effect of the rear chamber on char. If you make it smaller standing wave can only go higher.

I think your flare should go higher on axis. Cant say much about dispersion without sims though. So your cross should be very safe.

Edited by gen0me - 29 August 2018 at 3:08pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 6:11am
yeah just make the rear chamber as small as you can...
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

You would have to scale the internal chamber of the horn in WinISD to determine what the 12 inch is seeing in terms of frequency response. It may be best to just create a new smaller box for the horn instead since you pulled the horn out of the old box. This will allow you to compare the old design to the new design (Hear the difference) which, will tell you how much low frequency loss will come into play by using a smaller box. 

The above would be the safe method instead of butchering an old box based on opinions of others who have no on hands experience owning such a design. 

When it comes to such modifications you are really on your own to determine if downsizing a cabinet will meet up to your requirements from a sound quality standpoint.

Best Regards, 

WINISD won't model the low end cutoff of a horn as your dealing with reactance annulling, hornresponse and akabak will, hornresponse being much more user friendly for this purpose.
A smaller rear chamber may well increase the low frequency output with a sharper knee at cutoff. If you can just bags with wet clay, sand or whatever you can to fill the air space in the chamber and listen to the change, preferably measure with a mic, pretty much any mic will do as just checking for relative changes, may even find an app for your phone will do the job for a basic check of effects the changes are having.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Best Regards, 

WINISD won't model the low end cutoff of a horn as your dealing with reactance annulling, hornresponse and akabak will, hornresponse being much more user friendly for this purpose.

Possibly, you are mistaking internal chamber of the horn to canal of the horn. I am talking about the internal chamber of the horn. 

Under those circumstances the method I suggested does work in WinISd for I did it nearly 20 years ago with some large 180 Hertz Straight Horns. Straight horns with vents are a hybrid in which, follows the same principal as a reflex cabinet in terms of the rear chamber and port interaction. 

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 September 2018 at 1:29pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>