Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reggae pre amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reggae pre amp
    Posted: 16 November 2006 at 4:07am
OK big up and respect to the makers !! really

so what i would like to know is the way in which the paramatic eq that is found, from what i heard ,on all reggae pre amps played with or used in a different way than what they are used for in the PA/recording world?

I have just read that they are really meant for reduction of frequency/band  but from  what i can gather they are used quite the opposite within the reggae thing?
Not that it matters but is this true??

more questions i think to come !
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 8:11am
time to get your iron out and try some experiments. You'll have lots of fun....

Some "parametric" circuits wouldn't be seen dead in a PA/ Recording Mixer
no Q control no gain control and Q that varies with frequency

EQ circuits were first meant to correct (or Equalise) tonal balance but that's all changed nowadays (IHMO)

hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 12:41pm
heights ........so in the reggae pre are they without Q control, gain and or frequency variation?
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 7:14pm
yes Hikk.. Most pres have parametric with fixed q, and some with fixed boost also that can be swept through the frequency range. Its unusual to have a true para on a pre-the main reason being that playing with a full para while the sound is playing is a bad idea; with three variables you're going to pass through some raw sounds before you get it sweet:( 

The idea of the semi parametric sections is to give a small boost curve-the q should be fixed to catch just the right amount of your bassline/tops etc- this curve can be moved around to catch that particular note where the bass drops, the fullness of the kick, etc etc..
Some sounds play the paras on their pre like an effect, heavily boosting and playing particular notes hard and heavy, or sweeping it up and down.
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 7:34pm
The main reason I don't put Q controls on my stuff is because front panel real estate is in short supply Just as well as some people can't get their head around the concept of a gain control
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 1:55am
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/calreq/calrec.htm
ok just to see if i am following this correctly ! The link above ! Is the calrec a full para? From what i can see from what you guys are telling me it isnt !

Also have a book or 10 out of the libary one is specificaly about EQs all of the different sorts .....with schematics and print ! Ok one i am looking at there has 4 pot meters per band as opposed to 2 per band on the carlec ok carlec seems to be 4 bands and the one in my book has 3.?!

Then this would be a full para[book eq]? am i correct in thinking that ? Also from what you guys[respect] are telling me this would be OVERKILL for playing live?

So to the players and makers is a three or 4 band para to much or just right ? WHy? well also have schematica for a one band para ,,,which got me to thinking do all the para bands get used on a reggae pre ? If its mainly just the bass then it might be better just to build for that frequency..

again big up sorry if what i ask seems bumb .........well just not that bright and this is all very  very new to me ..........
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 5:57am
a full parametric has three controls that are indepemdant of each other

Frequency
Gain
Q

If the Q is fixed on the circuit board then I guess it shoudl strictly speaking be  called a semi parametric. Some  people drop the "parametric" word and use phrases such as "sweapable eq"

Al depends what "world" your living in. In the reggae world (from what I've seen), any circuit that allows you to sweep through a range of frequencies in one control is called a parametric

Which EQ book are you looking at. This discussion is giving me the urge to go and try a few things - you can never stop learning

hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 3:45am
MS ! on the pres that you make ,how many bands do the paramatics eq have ?

@ all the users of reggae pres DO YOU ALL USE THREE BANDS? YES ? NO? is one band used more than another ? which ones ?

Well the eq book i am reading at the mo IS DUTCH from what i can see thats the original language ..So dont know if it has published in english .......published first time january this year !! its called
AUDIO ELEKTRONICA understaning designing and building ................. its from or has something to do with a electro mag called ELEKTUUR............ isbn is 905381-193-1.................. also have more and have [yesterday] orderd more from the libary most of which seem to come from the elektuur mag.. sorry the writer is ROBERT SONTHEIMER!
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 3:47am
strange
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 4:27am
@hikk
The mini pre has one sweep control for the bass. no gain or Q control
This is the only one that lke that and in practice it's not really a problem

The 3-way's have 3 sections of parametric and the 4-ways have 4-sections. each section has frequency and gain control

ELEKTUUR ?
know over here as ELEKTOR. I used to by about 5 electronics magazines a month including that one plus computer magazines as well. Had to stop as I was running out of space.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 6:23am
I've had a few Baracuda pre amps over the years & remember that one of the knobs on it used to sweep his tops which had a slight phasing sound to it, wanted to know, would that be called some type of Parametric ? 

The JTS ones never had that, well not yet anyway.

Years ago & even nowadays, people used to say JTS & Bara should have a built one together as the Baras played & sounded the crisses but JTS sounded the Heaviest.

The 3 or 4-way pre's U build mskeete, do that have a type of phasing sound on your tops, or didn't U opt for that design ?

I know most pre's have something on the bass end, I call it bass hardener/deepener, is this what's called the parametric on the bass ?

A bredrin of mine has a pre amp made by "Errol T", some of you may not heard of him. His pre had an EQ on it with sliders which was very rare. When adjusted the higher freqs on the EQ it also sounded like it was phasing too.

It still sounds good up to today.

Repect mskeete, I'll be over the Rec to hear K Shiloh in session, hope they turn up this time. Where's the website where we can see some specs on your pre's. Also new year a come, don't forget about the effects unit.

Cheers. 
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

I've had a few Baracuda pre amps over the years & remember that one of the knobs on it used to sweep his tops which had a slight phasing sound to it, wanted to know, would that be called some type of Parametric ? 
Some of his designs have a 5-way section of volume controls (although the outputs were 3/4 way). I don't think that phasing between the last knob and the knob before it was intentional but I think there was a parametric knob as well on the tops

The JTS ones never had that, well not yet anyway.

I've often wondered why tubby's never had a parametric on the tops section

Years ago & even nowadays, people used to say JTS & Bara should have a built one together as the Baras played & sounded the crisses but JTS sounded the Heaviest.
Rumour has it that tubby's learnt from barracuda. I don't know if tubbys just looked at barracudas stuff or if they actually sat down together

The 3 or 4-way pre's U build mskeete, do that have a type of phasing sound on your tops, or didn't U opt for that design ?
nope. plain old parametrics on the tops (expect the minipre)

I know most pre's have something on the bass end, I call it bass hardener/deepener, is this what's called the parametric on the bass ?
yes. I have a friend in scotland also refers to it as a hardener

A bredrin of mine has a pre amp made by "Errol T", some of you may not heard of him. His pre had an EQ on it with sliders which was very rare. When adjusted the higher freqs on the EQ it also sounded like it was phasing too.

It still sounds good up to today.
I'll have to hear that one day.

I'll be over the Rec to hear K Shiloh in session, hope they turn up this time.
Yes, K Shiloh don't have much luck when it comes to brixton Rec

first time, the place eas flooded
second time, problems with the power meant no one could play loud
third time, I got to hear them
four time, I was on my door step about to step into my friends car when I found out Neil was ill and they were'nt coming

Spoke to Neil during the week and they have every intention of being there. Hope it all goes smoothly this time

Where's the website where we can see some specs on your pre's. Also new year a come, don't forget about the effects unit.

Cheers. 
http://mostec.co.uk/electronics/preamps.htm A few things missing from the page and it's in need of a serious update. This year has gone too quick for me. might have to give up that day job...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>