Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reggae pre amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:00am
heights ALL!

Any of you MAKERS or pre USERS feel up to making a recording of the effect that a paramatic eq has on the frequency its asignd to?ofcourse played with reggae style

like low, low mid ,mid and highs.........
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:51am
yeah, when I get home from work
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:09am
As a pre-Amp builder mskeete or anybody else from the old school, do you remember the TUAC Weight & Treble Pre-Amps & Power Amps?

Factory used to be in Tooting Broadway Sth London. No longer there.

It had a bass o/p (2 jack sockeks) & separate mid/tops in one o/p (2 jack sockeks)

On the later series, they added a 4-way knob at the back which acted as a parametric on the bass. 

Done it's job them times. I'll post a pic one day.

Edited by Tekasis - 21 November 2006 at 1:39pm
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 2:54am
another! On a reggae pre are all of the items switchable? Like if i wanted to use lets say a crossover could i switch or bypass the the one in the pre? same goes for all of the other functions it carries?

If i wanted to build a pre ! well i have all the different components .EQ paramatic eq. crossover mixer , echo mic channels !!!right one thing i dont have or have not yet worked out is how to combine all these things together  as one [the pre ] which wires go where !!
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:47pm
drawn yourself ablock diagramof how you want it to work and include the features you need. No point building it until it makes sense on paper

It would be useful if you had a few mixers around (any old crap with line inputs). Then you could try different configurations using your existing stuff

There's no standard way to configure the building blocks in a preamp but there are a few features that most preaamps have in common like being able to kill the bass/mids/tops without affacting the mic signals
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 3:56pm
A block diagram ! pfffffff thnx for the vote of confidence  still trying to get my head around a potmeter !!!!

Well have just finished the parts list for a small paramatic eq ..Will see how i get on with that and if it actually adds to my sound .More than just sitting there .If that works well i will go for the 4 way p eq..

I know i used the word pre but i was actually thinking of my sound generator ... see it doesnt have its own echo so i would like to add that but would like to choose wether it be on or off!  allso the power suply i mean if its powerfull enough for the two components will it be to powerfull when one is switched off .......... well more silly little things like that ... '

I dont know i suppose at the end of it all  to be able to build a pre would be nice  ...

first we are taking the small steps !
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 1:23pm
Pre-Amp builders out there (especially MSkeete), can any of you repair any type of pre-amp even if it's not made by yourselves ?

I remember years ago I use to hear people saying that some of the builders use to spray the components on the PCB's with black spray so you couldn't work out what values of the components which were used.

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 3:39pm
Yeah, I've seen a few items like that but in this age of cheap digital multimeters (some with capacitance range) I think it's a waste of time doing that now

Anyone with some audio electronics knowledge and Time could probably fix it

What's the actual problem and who made it

If you're not in a hurry then I could look in a few months - not being funny, just a bit snowed under at the moment

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

What's the actual problem and who made it

If you're not in a hurry then I could look in a few months - not being funny, just a bit snowed under at the moment

Snowed under by designing & adding more sounds to your noise effects unit right ?  or building a trailor load of pre-amps ? or both ?

Baracuda Pre & Power Amp

All explained in the following thread MSkeete:

Cheers.

warrior1236 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrior1236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 4:13pm
Maybe slightlly off-topic but one of the best tool for testing out pre amp configurations is the Soundblaster live 5.1 soundcard. But you need to use the drivers and software from kxproject.lugosoft.com This give you 3 stereo outputs with the facility to put parametric eq's and crosovers in between these seperate outputs and the computers' internal sound source. I have my computer set up as a 3 way preamp with line and mic inputs. And believe me the bass frequencies from this setup are unbelieveable. I only have it on a Behringer twin 8 inch studio sub. I would love to hear it on a big sound setup.
peppa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 8:34pm
peace to one an all in de roots n culture forum trev,mskeete,hikk etc jus joined luv the discussion about the parametric eq's .i'd like to add one point to your talk,the reason  why the para cct is so named is regardless of whether u choose to make(freq,Q or gain) variable or fixed the cct is still classified as a parametric amp the best eq being a ten band parametric.any peace
mr kipling makes good cakes!!!
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 8:50pm
welcome iyah did you get my email
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>