Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - REGGAE ROAST SOUNDSYSTEM LAUNCH PARTY, AUG 10th
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REGGAE ROAST SOUNDSYSTEM LAUNCH PARTY, AUG 10th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 5:49pm
I'm sure that I speak for all of the crew in saying that we're up for taking the system to the GP at some point in the near future, and I think a mono stack of 8 in there would be very good fun..   
To do a dull thing with style - now that's an art.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Gramps Gramps wrote:

I think a mono stack of 8 in there would be very good fun..   
Clap
Mykey Wattco
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:10pm
@ gramps, your not supposed to blow the bloody doors off.... lol.....
https://www.elements-audio.com
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:13pm
ONLY!

..Your ONLY suppose to blow the bloody doors off...

......mini-mad means im a mini fan. I know that movie back to front and in 3 different languages!! Lol

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:17pm
This one is for Mini really, You mentioned accurate dispersion in one of your posts. You are not the first to use a circular horn, and I wondered what the ideas behind it were. Bearing in mind that PA companies have to use the mids and hi's to focus their systems, i.e. 60x40 etc. I have made them in the past and know how accurate they can be on Axis, but what about dispersion angles. Have you found that when bunched together they all seem to blend and cover anyway.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

ONLY!

......mini-mad means im a mini fan. I know that movie back to front and in 3 different languages!! Lol

The original was on 2 days agoClap
Mykey Wattco
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

ONLY!

lol.... my first car was a brown mini cooper, the looks I used to get, getting 6 boxes of records out of it at gig lol....
https://www.elements-audio.com
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

This one is for Mini really, You mentioned accurate dispersion in one of your posts. You are not the first to use a circular horn, and I wondered what the ideas behind it were. Bearing in mind that PA companies have to use the mids and hi's to focus their systems, i.e. 60x40 etc. I have made them in the past and know how accurate they can be on Axis, but what about dispersion angles. Have you found that when bunched together they all seem to blend and cover anyway.

I guess you mean me, (Minaximal) a bit minimaly maximal or vice versa, not Mini-Mad.

Indeed, I'm not the first to use circular waveguides, It's a type of Oblate Spheroid (OS) with a Le cleach (sp?) influenced  roundover,  a big improvement from simple conical with the benefit of a smooth throat transition and better acoustical impedance transfer.  It has much more linear directivity control than a simple tractrix, or diffraction based 'constant directivity' horns, which for the top end is desirable to me. They are a nominal 40deg -6dB dispersion, with 10deg cabinet trap angle (20deg total) to create a seamless horizontal array.  I've spent quite a bit of time playing with angles and measuring the off axis frequency responses to get pretty optimal summation, as there is no perfect answer, only the best attempt to minimise problems.

I'd quite like to try squishing the circular OS to make a 40deg x 20deg for example, but thats another project..

The mids are also 40deg -6dB at the XO point, but I like the sound of a tractrix for the mids and directivity is pretty pointless to control much below the crossover point for the longer wavelengths played by the mids.

But all in all, i did try to logically work out the best way to make a coherent array, and a type of OS with measured directivity to match the mids at XO point works better technically than anything else for me at the moment.

Minaxim al

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 8:37pm
I'm glad to see you thought about it. So many people use off the shelf horns and get what they're given. I just wanted to to see what you would say about it. Unfortunately, all Horns seem to be a compromise and I know that you can a purer sound out of a conical horn because everything is traveling in a uniform shape, I just wondered how you had tackled the sort after accurate dispersion.
DSTAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSTAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 7:41pm
All Lev asked was "Is the system a Reggae System or A PA system" and the Scoop bashing Began.

"Scoops - Distortion"
"Scoops - Worst Design ever"
and all the other negative comments that were said.

I own scoops, horn loaded subs as well as reflex subs and all I have to say when I do an event I take with me the appropriate tools to do the appropriate job.  I don't turn up to a dance event or a rock convert with scoops trying to tell the rock fans this is how their genre of music should sound or be played.

If I were a scoop I would be rather chuffed as it seems as if I'm the cab that everyone uses as a benchmark to decide if they are a good cab or not.  As it was said in this post "it was a scoop system that the Terra Horns were tested against/compared to in the country side. Not a reflex or horn loaded or any other system
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by DSTAR DSTAR wrote:

All Lev asked was "Is the system a Reggae System or A PA system" and the Scoop bashing Began.

"Scoops - Distortion"

Fact of life in this place.

Even though one of the top dudes @ FK1, heard decent Scoop system for himself, came here, and said SPL wasn't due to distortion, the ignorant still claim it.

Best leave them to it.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 August 2014 at 7:50pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by DSTAR DSTAR wrote:

"Scoops - Distortion"

I own scoops, horn loaded subs as well as reflex subs and all I have to say when I do an event I take with me the appropriate tools to do the appropriate job.  I don't turn up to a dance event or a rock convert with scoops trying to tell the rock fans this is how their genre of music should sound or be played.

If I were a scoop I would be rather chuffed as it seems as if I'm the cab that everyone uses as a benchmark to decide if they are a good cab or not.  As it was said in this post "it was a scoop system that the Terra Horns were tested against/compared to in the country side. Not a reflex or horn loaded or any other system
<face palm>
Mykey Wattco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>