Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

remote smaart & rs232, ne1 done this yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remote smaart & rs232, ne1 done this yet?
    Posted: 23 November 2008 at 3:14pm
And if so, how did u go about it..
  I've added an old desktop pc to one of my racks Tongue  Mainly to record sessions & to use the pc interface for programming my ultradrives, play music, run smaart etc...
  Then i decided it'd be way cooler to use windows remote desktop & a wifi connection to access the rack pc, over wifi, from my laptop.  The problem with this is remote desktop is virtually useless.
  So i'm going to try some USB over LAN & rs232 over LAN software to let me do everything remotely from the laptop.
  I know people here have used radio-linked rs232/485 to control xovers directly, but my approach would be to do everything remotely via the rackmount pc, the laptop would drive a remote USB audio card to create the test sound/music/smaart input & rs232 over lan would drive the ultradrives (i also have a USB to rs232 convertor if that software was unreliable)
  So i should be able to drive the entire system from the middle of the dance floor with no extra/custom hardware, hopefully!
  On the same note, i was contemplating buying smaartv6.1 (after using a dodgy copy of vs5 on a pc that was not my own..), but after seeing its price tag of $750 for a dumbed down vs.5, not a chance!  The interface lost the context menu & quite a few options it seems, presumably to make it suitable for single mouse button macs, grrrr.
  For that money i can hire some1 to set my system up for me and watch over it!

cheers,
  Rob.
What I cannot create, I do not understand
numtie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numtie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 9:44pm
why you having problems with remote desktop is it because you cant get the eq to view properly on screen. have you tryed using vnc to remote desktop works wicked and its free

or you could get a dolby lakey and plug it straight into a wireless routerĀ Big smile

bur seriously various peeps have repoter the usb to rs232 dosent really work however there is a post on here somewhere where someone manged to get an atx to work with an rs232 to wireless

Edited by numtie - 26 November 2008 at 9:48pm
Disco Hire Wales
psytron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psytron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 7:54am
I have a usb to rs232 and it works fine :) -dcx2496 laptop

I have given the rackmounted pc a few thoughts and think it could be a good idea.

there are a few ethernet/sound progs out there - Could be good for smaart...

not to sure on the control software for the processor tho i.e. making it work over a network.

good luck and if i find any info will contribute it asap :)
justamadman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 4:49pm
i don't know about the remote desktop idea but i have thought aboot ways of using the ultradrive wirelessly and the only idea i can come up with is an rs232 to ethernet adapter plugged into the ultradrive and then into a driverless, wireless ethernet bridge.

http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/accessories/serial-ethernet-adapters/netport/prodnetport.html

http://www.openxtra.co.uk/products/accessories/serial-ethernet-adapters/netport/prodnetport.html

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/networking/wireless-access-points/linksys-wireless-ethernet-bridge-80211g.p279501.html

in front of the bass bins baby
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2008 at 6:52pm

I've not tried to control the Ultradrive or Smaart remotely, but I have been successful controlling an 01V96 from a laptop using a Belkin network usb hub and an old wireless router.

With the software loaded on the laptop it sees any usb device plugged into the hub. Whether an additional usb to serial device would work with the Ultradrive through the hub I don't know.

Post Reply Post Reply