Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retro upgrade with Sure ADAU1701

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retro upgrade with Sure ADAU1701
    Posted: 19 March 2018 at 9:42am
I thought I would have a play with the Sure DSP boards, they are an ADAU1701 DSP based device, the 1701 is the DSP fitted to some of the Powersoft amps. They are  FIR capable although limited to under 500 taps, DSP resources get eaten up quick with the FIR but great for bit of a play especially with tools such as REW and Rephase - a BIG thank you to the authors of these free programs, SigmaStudio is also free to download to program these devices.

As I had a couple of 25 year old Harrison AC400 2 in 4 out active crossovers kicking about that had plugin crossover card, I thought I would try replacing these capacitor/resistor solder jobs with the Sure dsp boards.
They are now FIR capable, programmable stereo 2 way or mono 3/4 way units with 5 pin DIN sockets fitted for programming.
Total cost was approx £50, including a programmer.

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:18am
This is a really cool mod.

I'd love to try something like this on my Rane stereo 2 way too.
Don't test the champignon sound
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:20am
Should be doable with a lot of old crossovers and line mixers etc.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:07pm
Looks dirt cheap! How "newbie friendly" is the setup?
Compared to MiniDSP which is a simple plug and tweak solution
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Looks dirt cheap! How "newbie friendly" is the setup?
Compared to MiniDSP which is a simple plug and tweak solution

A bit of a learning curve but far more flexible in what you can do with it but is more a set and forget type system. Sigmastudio which is the programming software is free to download and can be run offline.
A programmer breakout board and dsp module can be had delivered for about £45, breakout board gives 2 in 3 out on rca and 3.5mm.
 Post Reply Post Reply