Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rig build for 50-100 people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 12:30am
Couple X1 with some of the shelf mid tops. 
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 9:44am
Im going to be listing a set of Cubo 15s and JBL JRX225s (and a shed load of amps & speaker management. hell even my spare set of SC2900s and some mixers) sometime over the next few weeks.
The above, with a set of Cubo Kicks (im keeping my pair!) had some great feedback from 'LunaFest' - albeit it being live bands. 
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 10:42am
How much for the amps, also could someone explain to me what mid-tops are and what they do and some designs of one, would be helpful
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 11:29am
I use 4 Orbit 3 and 2 Orbit 4 for 50 - 100 people. Sounds great and always get compliments.

Dupe...
Dupe...
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by scottyb scottyb wrote:

How much for the amps, also could someone explain to me what mid-tops are and what they do and some designs of one, would be helpful

mid-tops are speaker that typically cover 180hz and up.

they come in two way, three way, bi amp, passive ect ect.

Look at SMT212 for simple builds. Expect to spend money though,

PM90 or PM60 if you're a pro chippy and minted.

If you want to build it with nothing more than a router + 22.5 degree bit, circular saw, drill and a straight edge, build the SMT212.

Or if you wana spend a bit more I'll make you a pair ;)

Edited by Fracture_clinic - 17 January 2020 at 12:12pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Fracture_clinic Fracture_clinic wrote:

[QUOTE=scottyb]

only in a 4way rig! Not many subs/bass bins that will go to 180hz and sound nice!

in most 1-2-3way rigs, you'd expect the mid to takeover at around 100-120hz. Certainly in most pro audio, you want to retain as many octaves to the 'main' speakers, especially when you start to fly things or stack them up high, its weird if half the vocal comes from one speaker, with the bottom octave of the vocal coming from another elsewhere - not to mention screws up phasing etc. THX cinema spec is crossed at 80hz for this exact reason, keeping just the omnidirectional bass from the subs, and everything else from the main fullrange speakers.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

Originally posted by Fracture_clinic Fracture_clinic wrote:

[QUOTE=scottyb]

only in a 4way rig! Not many subs/bass bins that will go to 180hz and sound nice!

in most 1-2-3way rigs, you'd expect the mid to takeover at around 100-120hz. Certainly in most pro audio, you want to retain as many octaves to the 'main' speakers, especially when you start to fly things or stack them up high, its weird if half the vocal comes from one speaker, with the bottom octave of the vocal coming from another elsewhere - not to mention screws up phasing etc. THX cinema spec is crossed at 80hz for this exact reason, keeping just the omnidirectional bass from the subs, and everything else from the main fullrange speakers.

Ah yeah I should mention my rig's 4way. Tbh we cross lower than 180 for the reasons you mentioned. I've just seen 180 a lot in recent reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12