Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Right guys I need help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilitantYouthSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right guys I need help!
    Posted: 08 August 2013 at 6:10pm
Right i have two 1508-8 HE SF drivers lying around and I need advice on wether to make a scoop each out of them or make a single dual 15" reflex cab? Anyone got any advice, guidance etc. Some dual 15" reflex plans would be great! Also im using these in a Dub/Reggae Soundsystem so want that smooth bass that the popular soundsystems produce! Thank you in advice!
craig582 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 7:15pm
i would say 2 single 15" reflex, download winisd, put the parameters in, then see what you can get after having a play,
  • Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Power capacity: 2000 W Peak 1000 W Program 500 W Continuous
  • Sensitivity: 100.3 dB / 1 W 1 m
  • Usable freq. range: 40 Hz ~ 2 kHz
  • Cone: Kevlar® impregnated cellulose
  • Voice coil diameter: 4.0" / 100 mm
  • Voice coil material: Aluminum ribbon wire Polyimide-impregnated fiberglass former Nomex® stiffener Solderless diffusion welded OFHC copper leads
  • Net weight lb. / kg: 17 lbs. / 7.7 kg
  • Znom (ohms) 8
  • Revc (ohms) 5.32
  • Sd (Square Meters) 0.084
  • BL (T/M) 16.04
  • Fo (Hz) 51.2
  • Vas (liters) 182.4
  • Cms (uM/N) 182.0
  • Mms (gm) 52.90
  • Qms 10.60
  • Qes 0.352
  • Qts 0.341
  • Le (mH) 0.34
  • SPL (1W 1m) 100.3
  • No (%) 6.70%
  • Vd (cu. in. / ml) 19.5 / 319
  • Pmax (Watts pgm.) 1000
  • Disp (cu. in. / ml) 197/ 3229
  • Xmax (mm) 1.9
  • 15"

give it a go, it will be more rewarding knowing you designed them, plus if you put the best response graphs up here, we will be able to help you get the best out of them :)

Hope this helps

b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 7:19pm
Not scoops.  Make some BRs.  I would make a pair of them, personally.  Easier to carry.

I assume you do not use Bass box or WIN ISD, so maybe an online calculator would help.

By a quick calculation you could make a box with an Fb of 56.63hz and an F3 point of 60.03hz with a box volume of 124.77L  (add more total volume depending on how much volume will be taken up by the driver and braces and such).  The vent area could be about 177.89 cm^2 and 18mm (thickness of the wood) long.   

I am not saying that this is your only option, you can mess with the volume and get a louder box with less low extension or change the vent to be smaller or longer or multiple vents, just you will need to mess with the numbers.  This will not be a subwoofer but it should play pretty deep for midbass/kick.  Your drivers have an FS too high for true sub.  It is a big box, and you can make it smaller, but the port alignment frequency will get higher.

Really, if you are after sub, sell the black widows, or use them as the woofer in 3 way mid tops.
rffrecords View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rffrecords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 7:40pm
This peavey woofer is intended as a midrange in very big 4-way PA system. The sensitivity of 100.3dB (which is not exagerated a bit) and the tiny xmax of 1.9 mm give it away at first sight.

You can't give more than say 100 watts if you don't high pass it at least at 120 Hz. Ideally is to be crossed to a dedicated kick at 225 Hz if one want to make use of it's full SPL capabilty.

I am sure eighteensound has a similarly spec'ed 15 inch midrange.
MilitantYouthSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilitantYouthSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 9:54pm
Thanks everyone but im having a problem? How do i calculate the vdr?:S
craig582 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 10:01pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:24am
Use the suggestion in the link above.  My earlier suggestion, the vent seems not to jive with their recommendation so the calculator may have been off or something.  Probably best to go with Peavey's recommendations.
 Post Reply Post Reply