Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

right. new lighting rig suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunkydj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: right. new lighting rig suggestions
    Posted: 10 April 2009 at 9:24pm
Im looking for a new lighting rig, as my current abstract extreme rig is starting to look tatty and costing a pretty penny to maintain in their old(er) age.
I currently have: 2 barrels, 2 scanners, 4 flowers and 2 LED bars run off the designated abstract xtreme controller. all lights hung on a giraffe deck stand. 

the whole lot is used for audiences of around 200, and is scaled down for smaller gigs.

Im looking at investing in a new set, starting with 2 units, then growing to 4 then 6 then a further 2 etc until I end up with 10 again possibly?

I want it to be fully DMX 512-able and go down the 'pre designed' light show route where I can put one together, save it and then use again etc etc....

must also be robust, as they will be in and out of a van upto 4 times a weekend.

budget is strict at around 200-250 GBP per unit. I will also have to buy cases so lights with pre made protex cases would be good?

considered the isolution imove 5's' but thought id ask you lot before I took the plunge!

jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 10:39pm
The abstract xp range is properly road worthy and well built

I have 4 x i-move 5s and i think they've very good, obviously not up to the standards of a krypton etc but for 15% of the price they're a steal, really reliable (like most prolight kit is) and look spot on

Where you're going wrong is with sh*t cases

Invest in proper flightcases and the kit will last forever, i can't stress it enough
Ben_Lawrance View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben_Lawrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 12:57am
I've just got rid of 16 Abstract fixtures and replaced them with 6 Martin Wizard Extreme's. I highly recommend them.

Cased in 5 Star industrial flightcases and you can't go wrong.
chunkydj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunkydj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 3:01pm

yeah my xps are all in full flight cases custom built by swan apart from the LED bars (wanted to take £300 off me for that one!!!) the lights are only looking tatty because of general use rather than transit!  

I only said protex cases because my budget aint huuge. I would go full flight as soon as the lights make some of my money back!

JonMinns: how do you display the lights? on a gantry/truss/tripod/on a speaker stack?
Ben: similar quesion, how hugh do the wizards have to be? theres a couple in a golf club im resident at, and they are facing down towards the dancefloor (backs paralell with ceiling) about 10ft high and they dont look great Confused

chunkydj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunkydj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 1:04am
cmon jon and ben!Embarrassed
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 12:18pm
im not a fan of barrel scans. they so create a huge effect, but ive always thought they were too random, i like having nice chunky focused beams moving around. just personal preference albeit. Also been having reliability problems in one of the clubs i work, with 8 installed, namely PSU's and the heat of lamps cooking the immediate neighbouring cabling around them. Nothing some heatproof cable wrap couldnt fix.

for £250 a fixture, cant go far wrong with martin minimacs off ebay. everyone sl*gs them off constantly, but ive used them a lot for two years, and installed/sold LOADS more (had at least 40 pass through my hands i think), they are bright (150w discharge), have plenty of colours and spinning gobos, and IMO are brilliant. For smaller non dmx jobs, the standalone mode cant be beaten either, is one of the few moving heads which incorperates pan and til hi/lo settings, allowing you to place them anywhere you like, and limit where they point - unlike other standalone heads which spend half the time pointing at the back wall, ceiling and floors etc....

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 14 April 2009 at 12:19pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply