Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RLA vs Funktion One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RLA vs Funktion One
    Posted: 02 January 2012 at 2:34am
So who is better or am I comparing apples and oranges?

VS

Both cost about as much as a college education, both weigh an absolute ton, and (this may be nit picking) both have GIGANTIC horns for the subwoofers.

Facts and opinions please.
Building a system in Pennsylvania.
will_i_am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will_i_am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 5:11am
for what purpose is it intended? if you plan on touring the system then IMO the choice( of those 2) is clearly FK1.
Assuming by RLA you mean richard long associates?i dont know a huge amount about them, but ive only ever seen pictures of install systems, ive never heard one either.

i personally wouldnt go for either the apple or the orange... i prefer something a little pear shaped!
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 5:22am
that is correct I do mean Richard Long & Associates.  I was hoping someone who had heard both systems could weigh in on who's better, and why.

What do you mean on the Pear comment?

Oh and the purpose would be I guess you could call it touring.  I wheel out my speakers and play events. but I don't go like cross country.

Edited by nomercy82 - 02 January 2012 at 5:36am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 6:03am
Originally posted by nomercy82 nomercy82 wrote:

that is correct I do mean Richard Long & Associates.  I was hoping someone who had heard both systems could weigh in on who's better, and why.

What do you mean on the Pear comment?

Oh and the purpose would be I guess you could call it touring.  I wheel out my speakers and play events. but I don't go like cross country.

Hi.

The old Disco System pictured above is designed for fixed installs (clubs) and are not designed to be moved about from place to place. In addition the concept of that design is to have the room properly treated while having the loudspeaker positioned to achieve the best possible sound.

The above is everything that is not going to happen if you are moving a system from venue to venue. So neither design would be best for a mobile system.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 10:08am
The system on the picture is the old stereo system and was build by Angel Morales & SBS.
If you already know that and you just use the pic to have an example I apologize for being such a smart ass LOL Wink

From all the big systems & rooms (the room is a big big party of the system) I heard MOS was the best.
I heard not a single Dance Stack installation I really liked. But I like the F1 sound in general so it must be the rooms, take the Berghain as an example. It is impossible to make that room sound good without (a lot) proper acoustical treatment.

GSA in Zouk was ok. 
Really looking forward to hear District 36 and the SBS club The System. 
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Laurin Laurin wrote:

The system on the picture is the old stereo system and was build by Angel Morales & SBS.
If you already know that and you just use the pic to have an example I apologize for being such a smart ass LOL Wink

From all the big systems & rooms (the room is a big big party of the system) I heard MOS was the best.
I heard not a single Dance Stack installation I really liked. But I like the F1 sound in general so it must be the rooms, take the Berghain as an example. It is impossible to make that room sound good without (a lot) proper acoustical treatment.

GSA in Zouk was ok. 
Really looking forward to hear District 36 and the SBS club The System. 
I'm glad you said 'built' and not 'designed' by.
if you're going to build the bertha, do it in 2 singles, that way you could get the bins and barn door through most door ways 

Edited by mykey- - 02 January 2012 at 10:57am
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 2:28pm
@Mykey: never ever I would say designed Wink

There is another good thing about the Emerald (the single Bertha) two of them are louder then a Bertha.
nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 6:17pm
I already have 2 bertha's the full ones. But I may on your recomendation sell them off to someone else who wants some serious sound and build 4 singles. This Tuesday I will be measuring out some Levan extensions. Found a set at a club that I actually might buy.

nomercy82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomercy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 6:57pm
So what you're both saying is that both systems are great stand alone but room acoustics differentiate them from being okay or outstanding.
stephenk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 10:00am
Both RLA and F1 Dance Stacks are very good at having bass cancellation in the middle of the dance floor!
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 12:37pm
Heard a few stacked systems that did not have this problem.
Talked to the sound guys but they did not want to share there secret... Cry

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2019 at 12:53am
Originally posted by jetace99 jetace99 wrote:

I believe the only one left is at the Ministry of Sound in London, which Larry Levan setup around 1989 or 1990. 

WRONG! It was replaced by a Martin Audio system a decade+ ago.

The subs are RLA sliced in half. 

Wrong! Not even close.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>