Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RMS limiting with a crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danparrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:42am
Ah that’s great thanks Callum
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by callumtruds callumtruds wrote:

Paragraph from the formula sound user manual 
"If the average operating level is kept below the internally set threshold the AVC2 has no effect, if the average programme level exceeds the threshold the AVC2 will hold the output level at the threshold setting."  

My reading of the manual makes me believe it works off the RMS level (manual is worth a read)

From real world use it lets peaks through exactly the same as if i take it out of my signal chain. 
You can hear each protective increment drop the level slightly, but even when output level has been reduced it still lets the peaks through the same (as far as i can tell)

i have heard the drawmer sounds better when transitioning between protection levels but otherwise a very similar unit. 

Hope that clears it up abit Smile
Callum 

I recall from owning one years back that it's attack behavior is adjustable via internal board jumpers. Fuzzy memory though.
callumtruds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:00pm
ah thanks for the advice, will open mine up and see how it adjusts the sound 
callum
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:16pm
Well I'd read the manual first, then open it up :)
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Well I'd read the manual first, then open it up :)

+1

There are 3 internal adjustments - all explained in the manual. Best not to randomly mess with them - especially the sensitivity setting.  Shocked

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:17am

Imho.. Anyone who willingly uses an AVC2 as a part of their system needs to sell it ASAP and buy either  avc2d or a drawer sp2120.  The stock AVC2 when activated will destroy your sound. As for explaining the arcane workings to a DJ mid set. Ha ha ha..

Edited by 4D - 05 May 2020 at 11:17am
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12