Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rough cost for someone to design and make 2 mid/hi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rough cost for someone to design and make 2 mid/hi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 8:15pm
My 2x12+1.4" cabs need at least 3x 18" reflex per side to keep up and for bass heavy material two twin cabs probably isn't unreasonable.

You need to be careful about specifying 'powerful'.  My 12" drivers are only rated at 450W but given they start out at 101.5dB/1W, power handling isn't everything!

A 2214 loaded with Oberton 12MH35 or B&C 12NDL76 and paired with a half decent 1.4" driver (too many to choose from) would make a lot of noise in a fairly compact box.  Probably as loud as a H3.
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 9:43pm
Ok what about the Jam Systems MT2214 cabs loaded with Beyma 12P80Nd v2 drivers and RCF ND950 1.4" compression drivers? The Beyma are rated at 70 watts AES, 101db sensitivity and have an xmax of 7.5mm. Yeah I know about powerful I mean loud because I know low power handling drivers with very high sensitivity can output spl just as high as more powerful drivers with lower sensitivity (not taking into account the driver's power compression). 

I wonder if those Beyma drivers would be ok for that enclosure, i'd need an internal crossover to seperate the lower 12" driver from the upper 12" driver wouldn't I? I don't fancy 3 amplifiers running the cabs. 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 9:58pm
I have a cliant with 4 bms 4590's for sale, he would do a nice deal on 2, for your budget, I could easy give you a kick ass reflex duel 12 or single 15 with the 4590 coaxil, using the bms xover, you could power both boxes in stereo with a 4 channel amp...

I don't chase work these days as I'm allways flat out, but happy to build you a pair of cabs to suit your needs..

Edited by bee - 19 March 2018 at 10:00pm
https://www.elements-audio.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:16pm
Thanks Bee any idea of rough price for building two cabs? Would the Beyma 12P80Nd v2 drivers and the BMS 4590 work well together? I have a dbx Driverack PA2 not the best loudspeaker processor but I do what I can with what I can afford. 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:47pm
do you have the drivers, if not leave it with me to sim something up and have a few options on 12" drivers, a duel 12 would be better, they offer a better tonality and transient response over a 15".
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:18pm
I'm thinking a hybrid horn / reflex design thinking along the lines of a v shape baffle, with the 4590's on a 60/40 horn. box to be of trapped shape to suit hf horn choice, to correctly splay both cabs together, yet keeping a duel 12 box to a compact size, frequency wise 65hz to 20khz, means you could use it with a single sub cab for smaller gigs.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 12:33am
You have to look at the graphs.  The Beyma 12P80Nd is more like 95dB until you get above 1kHz...  No idea where they get 101dB from!

Whereas the B&C 12NDL76 (nice driver, used them in previous cabs) hits 100dB from 400Hz upwards on the response graphs.  The Oberton 12NMB35 is similar, even though it only quotes 98dB and having played with them are really nice drivers at a non bank-breaking price.

I don't have much experience with RCF compression drivers.  The ND950 looks impressive but I don't really see why you need a 4" VC.  To take advantage of the low extension you'd need a massive horn flare and it would probably be at the expense of some of the top end.  If you want to go RCF then the ND840 would probably be suitable.  However I'd probably go for one of the B&C's or Beyma CP755(ideally Nd version).  The best horn flare I've found and what I use myself is the 18Sound XT1464.

Yes in an ideal world you'd roll some of the high end off the lower 12" but in reality, I don't find it a problem.  If you find it is, then a simple inductor in series to produce a 6dB/oct filter would probably suffice.

The hybrid horn/reflex design Bee is suggestion is an option, however I've tried doing them myself and you do have to cross over really quite low to avoid issues in the upper midrange.  Fine with something like an 8" horn above it but I'm not sure even the BMS will go low enough and to do so would again need a very large waveguide to load it properly.  The XT1464 is pretty big but I still wouldn't take it below about 800Hz. 

sounds4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 4:57am
What 12" and comp do you use Chris in your dual 12 cab?

Edited by sounds4u - 20 March 2018 at 5:05am
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 7:54am
You’ll struggle to find someone better than Bee for the job.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:13am
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

I'm thinking a hybrid horn / reflex design thinking along the lines of a v shape baffle, with the 4590's on a 60/40 horn. box to be of trapped shape to suit hf horn choice, to correctly splay both cabs together, yet keeping a duel 12 box to a compact size, frequency wise 65hz to 20khz, means you could use it with a single sub cab for smaller gigs.

Would a hybrid horn/reflex design yield a high spl output? I don't mind about cabinet size because at the end of the day performance is everything. I don't have the drivers yet because i'm not 100% sure what drivers to use. Gig wise whatever venue I do parties at i'll only ever be using all my subs clustered together against a wall with only enough room at the back for the speakon cables to hang down.

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 20 March 2018 at 9:16am
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

I have a cliant with 4 bms 4590's for sale, he would do a nice deal on 2, for your budget, I could easy give you a kick ass reflex duel 12 or single 15 with the 4590 coaxil, using the bms xover, you could power both boxes in stereo with a 4 channel amp...

I don't chase work these days as I'm allways flat out, but happy to build you a pair of cabs to suit your needs..

Well this is an offer TS cannot refuse! Clap Perfectly suits your needs

Edited by 4AC - 21 March 2018 at 9:29am
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 5:29pm
Salesall in Huizen, the netherlands is selling off old Focus Apogee gear. the have a package of  6 Apogee 3x3's for 600 each including VAT. lots of noise for pocket money. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>