Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Running turbosound tms2's with bss analogue kit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running turbosound tms2's with bss analogue kit

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 30 January 2007
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7044
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:38pm
floodlight, single turbo 15, and 2 x1s here. have found that reverse loading the drivers and adding bracing has helped reduce honk noises from the 15s. happy up to 180 now.

have 6 x1s, 4 double turbos and 4 singles, and have done all various combinations of them, depending on music or ceiling height and stuff. i like the setup pictured.

Back to Top
Trig View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 28 June 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 40
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

X1s

Heretic... :) 

back to the 15"   @250hz the trick is not to overdrive the box too much power and the honk honk honk gets exaggerated 

When I bought them they had 500 watt drivers in, meaning each box would need 2k, which is as you say too much power for them, and made them sound honky. They now have 300 watt drivers which is closer to the original spec. 1.2k a box now and they don't have that issue. I will definitely try running them all up to 250hz as robbo recommends and see how it compares to how I usually run them. Still interested in amp suggestions for the tms and any other tips for getting the best out of them using the bss analogue gear. 
Back to Top
Trig View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 28 June 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 40
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

floodlight, single turbo 15, and 2 x1s here. have found that reverse loading the drivers and adding bracing has helped reduce honk noises from the 15s. happy up to 180 now.

have 6 x1s, 4 double turbos and 4 singles, and have done all various combinations of them, depending on music or ceiling height and stuff. i like the setup pictured.


Looks like a very nice rig you have there.....the venue looks nice as well
Back to Top
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc


Joined: 05 December 2005
Location: Shropshire
Status: Offline
Points: 3961
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 1:43pm
That is a very nice well balanced rig there and should imagine that it sounds very nice.
If it is any help Trig we used to run G subs below our TMS and TSE cabinets laying the G subs flat on their sides with the other cabinets stacked on top and this really worked well with the G subs wired in reverse phase to line up with the horn loading of the TMS and TSE boxes.
We also used digital Xovers so that we could overlap the frequencies sent to the different types of cabinets---The G subs were run from 40 Hz up to 120 Hz and the TMS and TSE boxes run from 70Hz up to 250 Hz(standard Turbo Xover point)---We spent many hours with our combination of cabinets trying and experimenting with time alignment and Xover points and we settled on this set up as we found it great if a little weird but it really does work.
We also experimented a fair bit with running TMS4s and TMS2s three way active but found the difference to be that minimal that it was not worth carting extra amps around the country to run them three way.
Back to Top
Trig View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 28 June 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 40
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

That is a very nice well balanced rig there and should imagine that it sounds very nice.
If it is any help Trig we used to run G subs below our TMS and TSE cabinets laying the G subs flat on their sides with the other cabinets stacked on top and this really worked well with the G subs wired in reverse phase to line up with the horn loading of the TMS and TSE boxes.
We also used digital Xovers so that we could overlap the frequencies sent to the different types of cabinets---The G subs were run from 40 Hz up to 120 Hz and the TMS and TSE boxes run from 70Hz up to 250 Hz(standard Turbo Xover point)---We spent many hours with our combination of cabinets trying and experimenting with time alignment and Xover points and we settled on this set up as we found it great if a little weird but it really does work.
We also experimented a fair bit with running TMS4s and TMS2s three way active but found the difference to be that minimal that it was not worth carting extra amps around the country to run them three way.

What amps were you using to run your tms2s? Have thought about trying them 3 way as have read on here that they sound a lot better but they do sound very nice using the internal crossover, so it is interesting to hear you didn't think it worth the extra amps and cables. Do you need delays when running the g subs? Or does running them out of phase do that job? As that's not an option with the current kit we have 


Edited by Trig - 13 February 2020 at 2:00pm
Back to Top
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc


Joined: 05 December 2005
Location: Shropshire
Status: Offline
Points: 3961
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 2:26pm
We started off using Rauch DVT250 Mosfet amps on our blue boxes then used C Audio for a few years then Powersoft Digams which were the best sound quality wise and also better for 50 year olds with bad backs.
We used short adaptor leads that we made purely for reversing the phase on the G subs as they worked out spot on being 180 degrees out of phase.
There have been a few people on here advising running TMS full range cabinets in three way mode but the gain in sound quality really is minimal and just not worth it.
One thing that we did do which improved the HF a lot was to standardise all of our HF drivers to 16 ohm B+C DE250 as we ended up with a fair old mix of different HF drivers after running Turbosound for a few years as the boxes are so loud and efficient that it is very easy to get carried away with the volume at times and pop HF diaphragms.
Back to Top
Trig View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 28 June 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 40
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

We started off using Rauch DVT250 Mosfet amps on our blue boxes then used C Audio for a few years then Powersoft Digams which were the best sound quality wise and also better for 50 year olds with bad backs.
We used short adaptor leads that we made purely for reversing the phase on the G subs as they worked out spot on being 180 degrees out of phase.
There have been a few people on here advising running TMS full range cabinets in three way mode but the gain in sound quality really is minimal and just not worth it.
One thing that we did do which improved the HF a lot was to standardise all of our HF drivers to 16 ohm B+C DE250 as we ended up with a fair old mix of different HF drivers after running Turbosound for a few years as the boxes are so loud and efficient that it is very easy to get carried away with the volume at times and pop HF diaphragms.

How many g subs would you use with 6 tse and 4 tms2 
Back to Top
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc


Joined: 05 December 2005
Location: Shropshire
Status: Offline
Points: 3961
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 4:02pm
Per side, I would use one G sub laid flat with two TSE215s on top, side by side but one of them upside down so you will get the horn coupling from them and then a TMS2 on top of each TSE215 to give a nice looking uniform stack.
This would mean dropping off one pair of TSE215s from your system but this would give you a better balanced rig anyway.
Back to Top
Trig View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 28 June 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 40
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Per side, I would use one G sub laid flat with two TSE215s on top, side by side but one of them upside down so you will get the horn coupling from them and then a TMS2 on top of each TSE215 to give a nice looking uniform stack.
This would mean dropping off one pair of TSE215s from your system but this would give you a better balanced rig anyway.

It's something to think about for the future.....for now though I just need to start using the rig we have again before the Mrs starts making noises about selling it 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.