Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Say Watts ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloveny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 5:42pm
Thanks for joining in the discussion everyone.   I feel like I've opened a heated debate which was not my intention and is why I'm asking int he first place I guess.  It's not as simple as 1 plus 1 and everyone has their own way.  This stuff isn't easy to grasp and experience is the real tool I'm completely lacking in but which you all have you're own.  Thanks for sharing. 
I can build a laser and burn some retinas no problem but burning voice coils is a different story.  
I want to build 2 double loaded Manifold band bass boxes and some tops to compliment.  That's as big as its gonna get.   

This box X 2  https://freespeakerplans.com/plans/14-plans/basscab/21-mn-246 
With 2 of these in each box  https://www.thomann.de/intl/in/rcf_lf18g401.htm - RCF LF18G401

Then this box x 4 https://freespeakerplans.com/plans/15-plans/midtopcab/35-mt-130
with a PD121 and a BMS4550 in each box.  

The subs will be wired to be 4 OhMs per box. 

The tops will be built with the compression drivers in their own box so I don't have to worry about a passive cross over.  (yet another head fu@k). 
So 4 separate boxes for the PD's and 4 for the BMS's. 

With those in mind can anyone suggest which amp configuration to use? 
I was thinking of using a Soundgear Saturn 6 (2 x 3000W @4Ω) for the subs.

Then a Soundgear Saturn 5 (4 x 1200W @4Ω) for the mids and top.  
Would this work?

Sorry to keep asking all these questions.

Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 6:22pm
Oh I can say in my opinion it wasn't heated just a difference of opinion as is always the case most people disgree about something lol. 

With regards to building subs the easiest design to build is a bass reflex design, all you have to do is choose a driver, then use software like for example WinISD to model the port length and port size and include bracing inside the enclosure and you can come up with a pretty damn good reflex sub. B&C drivers are excllent so have a look here :

There you have drivers and designs for enclosures that BB&C reccomend for their drivers. As for amplifiers i'd say the Soundgear Saturn amps are unproven as of yet and i've not seen anything from any users which says whether they're good or not. I have QSC RMX4050HD amps so maybe on my subs and they sound excellent, you also have to remember that just because an amp looks very powerful doesn;t mean it is. A lot of amps power ratings are rated in burst not continuous average power, and then even then many amps don't have power supplies good enough to sustain sub bass. QSC would be a better option to go for because QSC are one of the best amp manufacturers in the world i've always had QSC and they've been brilliant and CAN output the rated power continuously.

Edited by Fred_dibna - 04 December 2018 at 6:25pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 1:41pm

Create a topic on Soundgear Amplifiers on the header. This will allow you to get some feedback on those who have used Soundgear Amplifiers.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by gloveny gloveny wrote:

The tops will be built with the compression drivers in their own box so I don't have to worry about a passive cross over.  (yet another head fu@k). 

Just to point out, the decision of active vs passive crossover is wholly separate from which box the components live in - you can just as easily bi-amp a combined mid high unit as you would separate boxes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234