Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scoop compatible drivers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:57pm
getting too technical... get a driver and listen to it. 

that colour coded list is just not right since PD186 and Fane XB have come up red...Ermm
F.T.S.S.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:02am
Only going by Lev's Guidelines.-

Here's quick way to choose decent "ferrite" scoop driver for scoop.

Ignore manufacturer's sensitivity figure, only consider reference efficiency, expressed as figure between 1.8 - 4.0.

Forget all Eminence, Paudio, Cerwin Vega, Peavey drivers
Forget all drivers where Xmax < 7mm
Forget all drivers with VC diam < 4"
Forget all drivers where ref efficiency (no) < 1.8
Forget all drivers with BL < 24 (Except PD186), or  Qes > 0.35, or Qts > 0.35, or Vas > 360, or Fs > 35hz

Its not engraved into stone, and everyone is entitled to there own opinions. 
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:24am
EDITED:

Edited by levyte357 - 11 May 2012 at 1:30am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:26am
I guess I'll leave it just how it is then.Geek
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:55am
As this is gonna end up as a long-lived thread (at least I'd hope) it does seem a shame to call up some arbitary list where known good sounding and in my experience bloody loud drivers are excluded like the Fane Xb and PD186 (as Saul pointed out) just for the sake of fitting some silly made up rules.

Most of the scoop rigs I have ever heard loaded with the big man drivers sounded worse than those with some of the ones which 'don't work' according to this list. They probably weren't as loud but, lets remember SPL is more important than a nice sound.

Don't test the champignon sound
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:06am
I think that's what this thread is all about. I think some drivers might sound great, but then others might sound awesome, others brutal. All depends what your looking for and what your willing to pay, and what kind of scoop your dropping it in. I think Lev's guidelines for the list (correct me if I'm wrong) are more for Brutal SPL. If u simply must BLOW the other sound away.
The Fane XB was only .08 off. I mean really. Wouldn't stop me from buying one. A good driver by any means.

Edited by RealitySound - 11 May 2012 at 1:10am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:30am
Maybe I should delete my "suggestions" then, and RealitySounds, maybe you should delete all your lists, and people can just buy whatever driver, the various salesmen here are ramming down peoples throats, because they are getting trade deals on them, as opposed to being what people need.

Then wonder why it sounded crap in their scoop just before blowing. Or why another sound can batter them with half as many scoops.

People keep telling me to keep stuff to myself, and I'm now seeing why.

Edited by levyte357 - 11 May 2012 at 1:51am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:41am
I dunno. I mean there are members on here who have playing sound with scoops for years, and newbies who want to try their hand at building some scoops. I initially started this thread to help people who haven't a clue on which driver to buy, as I once was. I wish this thread was up a year or two ago when I was trying to get 'orange juice- squeezing some lemons.' Dropping complete wrong crap drivers in good scoop designs and getting crap out and wondering why. So if this thread helps anyone then it was worth starting. Approve
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

I wish this thread was up a year or two ago when I was trying to get 'orange juice- squeezing some lemons.' Dropping complete wrong crap drivers in good scoop designs and getting crap out and wondering why. So if this thread helps anyone then it was worth starting. Approve

When trying to help people results in headache, insults, stress, time to excuse yourself, and let people find things out the expensive way on their own.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:55am
Some of us on here appreciate the advice! Thumbs Up
DiscernAudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:49pm
Thinking about building some scoops. Should I focus on Rogs design or are there some others to pay attention to?

Edited by DiscernAudio - 11 May 2012 at 8:59pm
Prince Zahir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Zahir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:06pm
Lev....ur insight is appreciloved so dont let this stop u from helping people who really seek it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>