Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoop Debate 15" Vs 18" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoop Debate 15" Vs 18" ?
    Posted: 23 August 2006 at 8:39am
this is one for the scoop purists on this forum or perhaps for peeps that have used scoops in the past.

what do you prefer 15" or 18" scoops and why?

i'll start.. i prefer 18's because thats what i use now (fane design, loaded with fane XB's) and i love the warm sound they produce.

in the past i had a load of 15" eminence design scoops, but try as might i just couldnt get them to sound as good as other rigs i had heard at the time.

however a friend of mine has a load of 15" scoops loaded with fane colossus, im not sure what design but they are loads narrower than the fane/eminence or superscoop designs.

he tells me these sound better than any 18's he's heard before. i'm gonna be swapping the xlr's to speakons on them for him soon so i will ask him if i can run one with one of my 18's to get a comparisson.

scoop opinions please..

Edited by Static Age - 23 August 2006 at 8:42am
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:48am
18 inch scoops all the way.

I never heard 15 inch scoops that sound better than 18 inch scoops. Even Solution Sound System had 15 inch scoops up until very recently which they got 18 inch scoops now instead.

I wonder if Staiper's modified 15 inch scoop can beat 18 inch scoops in multiples?

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 1:24pm
have you heard the 15" scoops that fairshare unity have
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

no, but do tell us what they are like.
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 2:56pm
I prefer 18's.You just don't get that right kind of 'low weight' with 15's.
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

Didn't even know about that soundsystem. What are their 15 inch scoops like?
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 5:10pm
18" wins. Biggest area x Xmax.
vibesmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibesmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 6:04pm
check out horns of jericho sound soon at the damilola centre , they gonna be runnin 15" scoops loaded with pd's trust me i never thought it but these sound HEAVY , nuff low pressure ,

steppas used to run 15" scoops and i loved the sound he got from them , even with using 15's at brixton he held his own no worries ,i suppose it all comes down to how they are being run
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 6:10pm
Julian Fairshares 15's sound nice, very smooth and tight. They don't have such a low sound, but they create a fair amount of pressure..Nice and punchy.  
I think 15's can sound more "musical" on the bass.. When a sound is tuned to play heavy on the low notes, it can often be muddy and lack detail, as the tune itself has more going on further up, and the boxes are putting out the lower harmonics at a much greater level than the music itself.
My first sound was based around 4x 15's of some obscure design, and the bass was quite beautiful at times, until the cheapy chipboard disintegrated, oh well.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by vibesmaster vibesmaster wrote:

check out horns of jericho sound soon at the damilola centre , they gonna be runnin 15" scoops loaded with pd's trust me i never thought it but these sound HEAVY , nuff low pressure ,

steppas used to run 15" scoops and i loved the sound he got from them , even with using 15's at brixton he held his own no worries ,i suppose it all comes down to how they are being run

When you say used to how long ago was that?
Cos I never remember Iration Steppas having 15 inch scoops.
They had Eminence [I think] loaded scoops when I first knew about them.
I guess that was before my time of finding out and knowing about Iration Steppas.When I first knew about them was back around 2001 ish when they played tunes like Scud Missle.

Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 7:27am

ok ok, so some of you guys rate 15" scoops. what about combining 15's and 18's???

your thoughts?
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2006 at 10:36am
If the horns are the same,then they will combine into one large one. If they are different lengths,then the bass from the longer horn will be late....

If your using the same horn profile and then put a 15" on it,youl simply need more horn for the same cutoff. (imagine the horn as an ice cream cone)

Take it to the extreme and you could have 4 18"s and a real short horn. Or a 4" woofer and a real long horn. In between is the ideal balance. DJK has commented on this.

Edited by tb_mike - 26 August 2006 at 10:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>