Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scoops & hd15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scoops & hd15
    Posted: 27 December 2007 at 12:23pm
hello

Does it makes sense to build 4 hd15s to use for mid/kickbass above 6 pd1550 loaded scoops?

Reggae is the music that is mostly played on the system.

thanks in advance
jones
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2007 at 3:50pm
where do you cross the scoops at?
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2007 at 4:02pm

I should hopefully be doing this aswell when i change to a 4 way setup sometime next next year!

My crossover point for the scoops is 80
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2007 at 4:13pm
i think 70 would be better
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2007 at 5:36pm
70 or 80 id imagine the difference would either be negligable or driver dependant/scoop cab.
ie different scoop design and driver combos, as well as different hd15 drivers will affect the exact best x-over, as will musical genre, and taste, tbh 10hz wont make much difference, but play between the two to avoid dips and spikes in eithers response,
in short the sweet spot will differ slightly but not much lol....
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2007 at 12:50pm
thanks for the replies!

I will use a 3-way mostec preamp, the mids will be going through another 4way x-over.

the xover has fixed xover points so ill hope  it will be fine. dunno exactly at which frequenties. will check it out soon.

but if xovered at 70/80hz it should be a good combination?
think iam gonna start building then :)

cheers gents
Have a bassfull new year!
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2008 at 8:34am
The reason I asked is because he has 15 scoops and not 18
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2008 at 12:58pm
good point mykey i just spotted that, should still work though, alough im sure there eare other alternatives.....
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
nikko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 8:53pm
Just finished my new system that comprises 4 15"scoops, 2 wbins 4hd15's and 4 12" + horn trapezoidal midtops all pd loaded with martin audio compressions.  You wont be dissapointed man it looks and sounds absolutely mint! Proper old school.Wink  I had the same idea to let the hd's take care of the upper bass /low mid frequency's and it makes for a really nice sound, interesting comment regarding the advice you were given about not crossing over above 180hz, the graph plotted on the hd plan page looks like the max db for the cab is happening around the 200hz mark my turbosound xover is preset so the hd's are working up to 250hz and it sounds great,  next on shopping list has gotta be a dbx pa controller, to save the rig from any mishaps/idiot dj's! also  looking forward to having a play with the crossover points delay etc. 
gillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 10:34pm
hd's up to 250hz?Confusedi would of thought they would sound terrible crossed over at that?
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 2:47am
Originally posted by gillo gillo wrote:

hd's up to 250hz?Confusedi would of thought they would sound terrible crossed over at that?
why?
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 3:36am
I've read more that once on here that HDs start to sound honky about 180, and the spec says they run that high. Never head them for myself so just repeating what i've been told.
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
 Post Reply Post Reply