Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoops vs. Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -AD- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoops vs. Horns
    Posted: 26 January 2007 at 1:17am
Hi all. I'm a newbie builder from the US and have a question about the two box designs. I understand that for reggae, scoops are the way to go due to the lower frequency response. Is there any other reason than this that they are preferred by most of the big uk sounds? From what I read on the site, they have a frequency dip in the 60-90 Hz range which would not make them ideal for house or hip hop, correct?? Does this dip in frequency make the bass muddier and would some double 18 reflex boxs clean up the sound if combined with scoops. I know that some sounds such as BSL used to use a combination of the two. Pros/Cons?... Also, If I were building a system for spinning house and hip hop, I would most likely want to go with around 4 PD 186 horns due to the hi fidelity?? I'm just trying to clear everything up as I spin all three types of music and am planning on building up a sound. Any input is greatly appreciated. Peace
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 2:41am
WELCOME 
suggest you search the forum for the answers to that question as there are many opinion to it
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 3:59am
remember many sounds ARE TRYING TO EMULATE their heros that use scoops . So they to must have scoops....Many have more than likley never tried anything else so dont really know or have a valide oppinion.Sure we all draw from what went before us BUT there is a big BUT on that one....

Perhaps in your case a mix and match would solve the problem mind you i dont have scoops and to be honest MY reggae doesnt sound any worse for not having them......
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 4:27am
we own scoops and we all know that there are better boxes out there, but i just love the sound of rog's super scooper design getting a real spanking.

alot of horns sound just sound too honky to me. and we never do huge venues so throw is not an issue for us.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 5:19am
Originally posted by -AD- -AD- wrote:

would some double 18 reflex boxs clean up the sound if combined with scoops.
I know that some sounds such as BSL used to use a combination of the two. Pros/Cons?...
Also, If I were building a system for spinning house and hip hop, I would most likely want to go with around 4 PD 186 horns due to the hi fidelity?? I'm just trying to clear everything up as I spin all three types of music and am planning on building up a sound. Any input is greatly appreciated. Peace

Some people use or are considering using both. Have you seen the info on the link below ?

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7622&PN=10

Edited by Tekasis - 26 January 2007 at 5:19am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 5:55am
Originally posted by -AD- -AD- wrote:

From what I read on the site, they have a frequency dip in the 60-90 Hz range which would not make them ideal for house or hip hop, correct??

Yep true...

The thing is like all cabs, scoops have advantages and disadvantages.

The 18" scoop is one of the most efficient single driver cabs out there, but until now, response was plagued with peaks and dips, and so using them in live event was pretty much no go. This may change with new breed of scoop specific drivers.

6 correctly designed single 18" folded horn cabs, with approx 7ft horn length, driven @ 1k each, will most likely have nice flat response down to approx 35hz, and be little taller and deeper than Superscooper, depending on folding. E.g WSX.

But "indoors",   will be no where near as loud as 6 PD1850 loaded scoops driven @ 1k each.

Which is why I am currently working on scoop mods to loose some of these dips and peaks.

Edited by levyte357 - 26 January 2007 at 6:24am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 8:22am
You should be able to design one scoop to play from 35 to 120 Hz quite easily.

This is the plot of my new scoop. The reading was taken with just 1 scoop and it was sitting on the floor in the middle of a massive open space.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 8:43am
rocky mountains? himalaya's? or my grans back tooth?

cheer's rog ,first time i have seen one for a scoop 

104db @ 40hz?  get's tissue , wipe's screen

me ricence! me ricence!

Edited by mykey - 26 January 2007 at 10:03am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:32am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

104db @ 40hz?  get's tissue , wipe's screen

me ricence! me ricence!

I say, where do you think you are ? squatjuice ?

"You won't get away with that sorta thing round here!!"

"This is a local website, for local people"..
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:44am
what software do you use to design scoops on rog?
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 2:48pm

Has this much attention ever been given to redesigning the scoop bin? I feel like I'm witnessing a piece of audio history, namely removal of the traditional response dip of the  scoop.

Edited by COWFOOT - 26 January 2007 at 2:50pm
-AD- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -AD- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the info guys...and Rog, thanks for that graph. I guess im just going to start building the different types of boxes and see what better suites my taste. Probably will end up with a scoop/horn combo. I know the PD 1850 is THE driver for the scoop but the shipping costs to get PD drivers in the states is insane. Is there a comparable B&C driver that would come close to 1850?? Or should i just go for the Void??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>