Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seas CA22RNY advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seas CA22RNY advice
    Posted: 09 February 2020 at 2:43am
Has anyone here used the Seas CA22RNY? Particularly in a PA speaker?

I am looking at using this driver in a small-ish, low power full range cabinet. The driver looks perfect for what I am trying to do however I am slightly concerned about the durability of this driver, as I understand it is intended for home hi-fi use. It does look to be 'built light'.

Is this concern valid or am I worrying too much? Will the driver handle being transported and knocked around a bit?

The other driver option I am looking at is the Beyma 8P300Fe/N, which also looks fairly suitable, and is a 'proper' PA speaker, looks to be built like a tank. However the reason I am steering away from this driver as my first preference is that is it designed for high power use, and I am concerned that at low power levels (max 50w input, but intended to play at lower levels priamrily) the driver may not perform, it has an AES rating of 300w. Again I'm not sure if this concern is valid?

Any advice greatly appreciated
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 8:41am
Seas is a decent manufacturer, but the driver is only rated for 90w long-term power. If you can guarantee it will only ever see 50w max, then it'll be fine in that regard.

It'll handle being transported, but if you dropped the cabinet 6' off a stack/stand/whatever, I'd expect it to stop working. The Beyma has a better chance of surviving that, but I'd still test & inspect before putting it back into use.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 8:56am
Yeah itll definitely only ever see 50w max, so no worries there. 

Obviously I dont expect to drop the box but you never know, durability would be good for peace of mind.

What do you think about the beyma operating at low power? Seems like a driver like that might need a bit of power to actually "come alive"? Although it is rated to be very efficient.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2020 at 11:36am
Regarding the Beyma unit, remember that the rated power levels are survival ratings, not "sounds good" ratings.

The idea of a speaker "coming to life" at higher levels probably indicates the listener likes a bit of low-order harmonic distortion thrown in - for whatever reason (initially dark tonal balance would be my first bet), it sounds better that way.

In other words, the Beyma will sound fine at the power levels you're looking at. The higher thermal rating than the Seas driver just means you can use a bigger amplifier before the Beyma unit melts.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply