Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sending less than RMS recommandation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sending less than RMS recommandation
    Posted: 25 March 2021 at 10:40pm
Hello guys,
I'm designing a very, very low sub using WinISD.
Using 2 Acoustic Elegance IB15HT-8 in isobaric application and a 4th order bandpass, the bandpass is like 9.9 Hz to 28 Hz (-3dB).

Problem is : cone excursion is easely too high (I couldn't find better speakers for this application, if you have an idea, tell me!).

The cone excursion is ok for a signal of 90 Watts (so 45 watts per loudspeaker since there are 2 in derivation).
But the RMS recommandation for one speaker is 300 Watts RMS (600 Watts MAX).

Is it ok to underpower it that much ? What happens, beside a lower SPL ?
Distorsion ? Noise level too high ? Can't find this specific information.

I mean, a sound level of 98 SPL is ok for me, because it's for a home application.
So if there's no downside except volume, I'm fine with it.

Is there other downsides ?
Thanks !
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 10:46pm
Plain and simple, you can't under power a loudspeaker. Less power equals less output, you can over power it though.
Excursion in this case is the limit, not the thermal 300W, just go with what hits the limit first.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by ssbb1fire ssbb1fire wrote:

Is it ok to underpower it that much ?
Yes perfectly fine.

Originally posted by ssbb1fire ssbb1fire wrote:

What happens, beside a lower SPL ? Distorsion ? Noise level too high ? 
No downside, and the driver will last forever as long as you don't smash the voice coil into the back plate. 
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 8:39am

As above, No problems with lower power providing the amp isn't clipping.. Plus, power compression is much less of an issue.

ssbb1fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 10:55am
Thank you very much guys for answering precisely my questions !
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 4:35pm
Sounds like a crazy, crazy box - got any pics?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 5:27pm
Yo each his own of course, but what sound do you need or want amplified, because next to no music has any info in that region. And if it is for amplifying something like a pipe organ, what gear will let those frequecies through in the whole chain of microphone-mixer-amplifier...
ssbb1fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 5:51pm
Sorry no pics for now it's only in WinISD for now and I don't have (yet) the budget of it as getting the 2 speakers I need will cost 1K$
ssbb1fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 5:57pm
It's more of a crazy projet to shake my house.
It's use will be for movies and very low bass in some synthwave music (an to allow me to use this part of the specter in my music).
And to be honest, I just wanna brag that I went lower than the genelec 7380 AP that will cost twice the price.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 9:32pm
When you design an enclosure capable to go very low, you need to keep in mind the processors/amplifier involved. A lot of processors tend to roll-off the lower frequencies once you move towards 10 Hertz. I am one of the few individuals that do not high pass my subs in the sound reinforcement market. Choosing the right processors was more of a challenge to remain flat down to 10 Hertz than anything else. Hopefully, you are literally measuring the equipment within the chain to confirm you will indeed achieve 10 Hertz without the internal fixed HPF filter coming into play.

The Stereo Integrity Woofer you are using is usable down to 8 Hertz (-3dB) so, if your processor's frequency bandwidth is flat within the single digits and, the amplifier has no issues playing 10 Hertz without ramping into DC Protection, you should create a good amount of structural damage in your household. 

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
ssbb1fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssbb1fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 8:35pm
Thank you so much, this information is so interesting and helpful !

I have to introduce myself a bit here.
My name's Samuel, I'm a 3rd year student in acoustics at Le Mans, in France.
For almost 3 years, I've done manipulations in classes in order to measure several things, such as frequency response, directivity for example. But we've always been taken are of, such as we didn't have any troubles other than the measure itself.

It's the first time I have a situation where the driver isn't the source of the problem, and have no clue how to test my measuring the equipement within the chain.
In two months, I've designed several enclosures and simulated some loudspeakers systems, but never made any electronics besides passive crossover filters.

Do you have any advice on how to choose the processor/amplifier for this kind of application ? What to check ?
Also, me wanting to create my own amplifiers (or active filters), do you have any references, books or youtube channel I could check ?
If I make everything myself, It's way easier to control everything within the chain.
Do you also have references for measuring the signal chain too ?
To check its compatibility with this project.

Thanks a lot man, you've made me think of problems I wouldn't have tought of myself before I ran into them.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 9:18pm
I suggest you google “timo beckmann” and start reading for weeks to come. He lives for measurements, system optimalisation and filtering.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>