Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sending less than RMS recommandation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2021 at 2:24am
Originally posted by ssbb1fire ssbb1fire wrote:

Thank you so much, this information is so interesting and helpful !

I have to introduce myself a bit here.
My name's Samuel, I'm a 3rd year student in acoustics at Le Mans, in France.
For almost 3 years, I've done manipulations in classes in order to measure several things, such as frequency response, directivity for example. But we've always been taken are of, such as we didn't have any troubles other than the measure itself.

It's the first time I have a situation where the driver isn't the source of the problem, and have no clue how to test my measuring the equipement within the chain.
In two months, I've designed several enclosures and simulated some loudspeakers systems, but never made any electronics besides passive crossover filters.

Do you have any advice on how to choose the processor/amplifier for this kind of application ? What to check ?
Also, me wanting to create my own amplifiers (or active filters), do you have any references, books or youtube channel I could check ?
If I make everything myself, It's way easier to control everything within the chain.
Do you also have references for measuring the signal chain too ?
To check its compatibility with this project.

Thanks a lot man, you've made me think of problems I wouldn't have tought of myself before I ran into them.

Welcome to Speakerplans Samuel

The first thing you should do is measure your sound card. Your sound card will be giving you answers many will not be able to answer as time progress. Measuring your sound card is merely, looping the outputs into the inputs and, performing a sine wave sweep. By doing this, you will have a reference point (Your audio interface Frequency Bandwidth).

You can download Room EQ Wizard as, it will give you everything you need to make measurements.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com

Once you have measured your sound card, you will remeasure it again, however this time, you will insert the audio processor you plan on using in one channel of the chain between the input/output of the sound card. The other channel will follow the previous method of being looped directly from the input to output. This will allow you to see if the processor altered the signal or not.

Since you are measuring the bass response of the processor, you can begin from 100 Hz – 1 Hz or vicar-versa.

Amplifiers will require to be benched test (Oscilloscope & Dummy Resistive Load). An Amplifier may cut back it's power or, ramp into DC Protection, once driven rigorously, under the given load, below 20 Hertz. Most of the guys that bench test amplifiers below 20 Hz can be found on AVSForums due to being heavily Home Theatre influenced.

Personally, the only amplifiers that I have benched that can I guarantee will meet or exceed their specs in single digits are the old iron-core Crown Amplifiers. This is why, I've used them for over 30 years. I would have to check my notes but, I recall them still meeting their advertised specifications down to 5 Hz.

However, you should visit AVSForums for there are many who have gotten great results benching more up-to-date amplifiers. You will also get real-world feedback of users focusing on the field you are planning to partake.

https://www.avsforum.com/forums/diy-speakers-and-subs.155/

If you are looking to build amplifiers for yourself, a wealth of knowledge lies in DiyAudio's Solid State section.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/

You are going to find yourself fairly limited on many audio sites for, the majority are not interested in reproducing 10 Hz and, will try to steer you away from such a notion based on what they feel is right. It is a common trait of thinking outside the box so, I am giving you fair warning in advance.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12