Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Servicing an amp and electric shocks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Servicing an amp and electric shocks?
    Posted: 16 September 2021 at 2:30pm
Hi all, I need to service some amps (qsc 2450 and qsc 4050) with dodgy connections. I'll probably need to replace some speakons connectors.
I'm scared of getting an electroshock, what is the best way to avoid that? Is there a way to discharge the amps before working on them?

Thanks
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 3:22pm
With all due respect, those are really quite expensive amps to be messing around with if you fundamentally don't know what you're doing.  Shocked

And the best way to avoid shock, is not to plug them in when working on them!!  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 7:52pm
Be aware that large amplifier reservoir capacitors can store dangerous amounts of energy even when the amplifier is unplugged. Most amplifiers will have a bleed resistor to slowly discharge the reservoir but treat the amplifier as live until you have checked that it is not.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by bambaman bambaman wrote:

I need to service some amps (qsc 2450 and qsc 4050) with dodgy connections. I'll probably need to replace some speakons connectors.

I'd be surprised if you need to replace a speakon socket connector on an amp like a QSC that will use genuine Neutrik connectors. Even more surprised to see two amps needing new sockets at the same time. What are the symptoms?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 10:15pm
Standard problem on the RMX range is noisy or intermittent volume pots so it would be wise to check these before messing with a doubtful problem with Speakons etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply