Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting crossover and limiters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Someone linked this in another thread a while back, iv used it to calculate our ultradrive limiters for a couple of years, haven't killed any drivers yet so I guess it works fine. 

http://www.jobst-audio.de/tools-nuetzliches/limiter

Let me know if you need help with the release, or using that tool. 

That’s really really useful! Just one question - where it asks for speaker power handling, do you enter continuous or programme? In my head, programme makes more sense

There are people on here that know more than me but I will try my best to answer.

It depends, i think different manufacturers have different methods of calculating figures. Also loading matters, is the rear chamber ported or sealed? If its sealed, heat may build up over time. Also is the material compressed? Or does it have a lot of dynamic range. Its average power over a given time that overheats voice coils.

My punishers loaded with 12.00sw are '1000watt continuous, 2000 program' but if you gave them 2000 watts, id imagine they would die immediately. I think even 1000 is pushing it, long term the rear chambers heat up and you can start to smell voice coils. I settled on 925.

On the other hand my 8pe21 loaded in xt8 mid horns are 200 continuous, 400 program, I give them 300 and they never showed any sign of stress. 

I guess its something you will have to figure out. But remember that doubling the power is going to produce less than 3db extra due to power compression. Is pushing your system to with in an inch of its life for a tiny gain worth it?

Edited by citizensc - 05 June 2019 at 1:54pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 6:48pm
I’m certain this is a stupid question, but how does the limited on the Ultradrive work? Does it monitor the input signal and limit that so, for instance, if I turn my mixer down, but my amps up, I could send my speakers too hot a signal or does it throttle the output signal? I’ve set the limiters tonight for my 12” subs, but I still seem to have turned the amp up the same as on my 18”s? Does this sound right?

Edit: I'm being stupid

Edited by djgorey - 15 June 2019 at 9:45pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12