Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting limiters on Berry LMS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting limiters on Berry LMS
    Posted: 10 June 2009 at 1:45pm
Hey,

I wanted to set up limits on our bins, and was wondering if anyone could give a bit of an explanation on how it works. I have a berry LMS.

Had a play around with it but not entirely sure how to go about it

Thanks Smile
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 2:00pm
Ok no problem. Gather the following info.....

watts RMS powerhandling of bin(s)
max watts RMS output of amplifier(s)
Input sensitivity of amplifier(s)  (in volts :P)

And ill see if we can't conjour up some settings :)

BTW i take it you mean the behringer DCX2496?

Alf
drivebycar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 2:08pm
Hi mate,

Bins are loaded with pd186's so RMS is 700W

Amp powering them is a Proline 2700 currently running one a side at 8ohm so 900W

Dont know what the input sensitivity is though im afraid? And am at work so cant find out till later.

Yep its a DCX2496

Cheers

james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 2:21pm
i live in fear of dcx limiters... the only time i have ever blown speakers in my whole time doing this was when i decided to trust the ultradrive limiters to keep my amps out of clip. never again. norty has had some 18lx60s go pop under similar circumstrances too. i must temper this statement with information received that <20Hz run their hogs with the limititer lighting up all night long and have never had a problem.

i don't trust them though...

james.
mardy hippy.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by drivebycar drivebycar wrote:

Hi mate,

Bins are loaded with pd186's so RMS is 700W

Amp powering them is a Proline 2700 currently running one a side at 8ohm so 900W

Dont know what the input sensitivity is though im afraid? And am at work so cant find out till later.

Yep its a DCX2496

Cheers

Hmmm ok, i cant find the 2700 input sensitivity either... bit annoying.

All the other t.amps seem to be 0.775v so ill do a worked example with that and if the 2700 is different just do it again with 1 or 1.4 or whatever it is.

Have a read of this thread from a while ago......

http://www.speakerplans.com/Forum/output-levels-input-sensitivity-dbu-dbfs-ummmm_topic23486.html?KW=%2B22dBu

... it will explain in a bit more detail the following maths.

0.775v = 0 dBu

The ultradrive says +22dBu = 0dBfs so in order to output 0 dBu we set the limiter to -22dBfs.

With the limiter set at -22dB the output from the ultradrive will be constrained to 0.775v and the output from the amp to 900w. To further drop this to 700w we work out the dB power ratio of 900/700 and subtract this from the previous -22dB...

10 Log (900/700) = 1.091dB

-22 - 1.091 = -23.091dB

Setting the limiter to -23.091dBfs should keep the output power down to 700w IF the proline has 0.775v input sensitivity. For different sensitivities see below.

0.775v = 0 dBu (as before )
1v = 2.22dBu
1.4v = 5.14dBu

So if for example its 1v not 0.775v just add 2.22dB to the previous answer giving -20.871dBfs.

Hope that makes some sense. If not then check that thread i posted ^ chickenfizz shows another method for working this out that is i think equivilant? not totally sure though.

LASTLY (at last!) I reckon you can probably safely put 900w into your bins anyway, would be very unlikely to cause a problem so you could just set the limiters to stop the amp clipping (-22dB) and not bother shaving off that last decibel LOL

EDIT: utterly forgot about release time. This parameter changes how long the limiter takes to open up again (under the control of an envelope, it dosent just ping open suddenly once the times up!) I reccomend for proper "limiter" behaviour setting it for the longest time possible or at least 5 seconds.

Edited by AlfieDring - 10 June 2009 at 3:20pm
drivebycar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 4:39pm
Wow, thanks for that mate! Ill have a read of the other thread later on as well. Clap
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 12:42am
Yeah Proline 2700 is 0.775V unloaded which is -23.5dB on the dcx, the clip point drops a bit when you put some speakers on it and drive them them with a signal though, due to the voltage drop, we have had to put the limiter down to -24dB on the dcx (as far as it will go) and take the input attenuator on the amp down a little to stop it clipping.  Calcluated settings are never spot on, it depends on how much vairation in voltage gain your getting through the amp, wich vairies under different conditions.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 9:58am
i think there's also a way to set them for maximum gain structure. 

you disconnect your cabs from the amps and then run pink noise through the system. Turn up the mixer until it just starts clipping and then reduce a little. Then run this into the LMS with the limiters off. and into your amp. turn up the amp until it just starts clipping, then reduce it a little. 

Remember the position of the amp attenuators and then turn them up full again. Then turn on the limiters and reduce until your amplifiers stop clipping. Once you've done all the bands, reduce the amps back to the "remembered" position, and reduce the mixer too. 

If your amps are too powerful for your drivers, this won't protect them, but it's easier than doing all the maths. 

I think i saw this in a DBX manual. I've personally always used the maths method, but i have tried the gain structure method, and it seems to work ok. 

Edited by Saul - 11 June 2009 at 12:40pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Yeah Proline 2700 is 0.775V unloaded which is -23.5dB on the dcx, the clip point drops a bit when you put some speakers on it and drive them them with a signal though, due to the voltage drop, we have had to put the limiter down to -24dB on the dcx (as far as it will go) and take the input attenuator on the amp down a little to stop it clipping.  Calcluated settings are never spot on, it depends on how much vairation in voltage gain your getting through the amp, wich vairies under different conditions.

@ Drivebycar, listen to this ^^^! Real world conditions always take priority over the calculations of an unknown strangerLOL

@ Timebomb, what your saying is good advice overall but where's this -23.5dBfs on DCX figure come from? Have you measured it to be different from whats indicated in the manual? The specs indicate -22dBfs for 0.775vrms not -23.5
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 2:24pm
I genuinely think ultradrive limiters are brilliant

Fairly unaudible, and they work

I've overpowered v18s in tough boxes with the limiters taking 12dB off constantly all night to see what happens... nothing

DBX DRPA limiters are sh*te however
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by jonminns jonminns wrote:

I genuinely think ultradrive limiters are brilliant

Fairly unaudible, and they work

I've overpowered v18s in tough boxes with the limiters taking 12dB off constantly all night to see what happens... nothing

DBX DRPA limiters are sh*te however

+1  used correctly they can be very useful

Tony
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 3:08pm
...which really makes me wonder, what on earth could we have been doing wrong that night? general opinion has it that they work, next time i have one out i shall have a furtle.

james.
mardy hippy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>