Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

share the pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: share the pain
    Posted: 11 July 2005 at 5:25pm
heres what happens when u don't low-cut your 1850's.....  (p-shopped logo off speaker cos it's my fault not theirs!)

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 6:05pm
Hmmm, looks like something nasty came their way (in teh form of the back plate)
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 5:43am
BAD, BAD DJ !
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 7:53am
Bloody hell - were all 8 like that?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 8:27am
OUCH!!!!!!!
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:41pm
only 4 got the backplate treatment, should get the recone kits today & get them all back in action for friday night   Only got 4 1850's in the club (that are connected to amps!)  i'd like to get 8 in here eventually...
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 8:31pm

Looks like that coil has overheated on that one.

Bad Bad you for not using a low cut. Probably some amp clipping there too by the looks of the half charred coil.

Edited by ToXiC
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 11:04am
It looks more like the bottom bits of the coil have started to seperate from the former rather than thermal damage which would probably be more symmetrical (either that or a very strongly unsymmetrical BL distribution causing the speaker to be pushed out very far for much of its operating range)
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 4:25pm

i reckon same as timber, the coils failed first due to encounters with the backplate .  Then prolly got really hot after what was left of them jammed in the gap (non of the speakers went open circuit, just separated coils)

When i got to the club to hear the spectacular distortion comin from the bass bins, the amps were clipping & overloading their PSUs continuously, their cases were literally too hot to touch.  That night the 1850´s were powered by two 1800wRMS machine SBX2.8´s, i was suprised they could cause so much physical damage (one of the plastic vent tubes in the 1850´s melted too ) they´re now, after a successful reconing , powered by two 2.8Kw SBX3.8´s (so potentially 1.4K per cab), 60-190hz so theres ample headroom, never get to clipping before half the dancefloor backs off

I´m psyching myself up to building 4 more cabs for the club, the kick from 1850´s powered adequately is addictive, not sure whether to bother with a kick-horn now.

cheers,

Rob

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 4:46pm

What make of drivers are they???

Oberton???

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 4:53pm
no
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 8:54pm
What then??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>