Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

-=SHOW OFF YOUR VINTAGE STUDIO!!!!=-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -=SHOW OFF YOUR VINTAGE STUDIO!!!!=-
    Posted: 17 August 2009 at 3:36pm

Just found some old negs and scanned them in of studios I’ve had in the past. This first pic was taken in 1989 and the desk was a Soundtrcacs 24:8:16.

I really miss that old Soundtracs desk, it had a lovely sound which I don’t think can be bettered by even the best SSL or Neve consoles. Before the desk in the pic Soundtracs made the CM4400, which was marginally better sounding that the one in the pic. The CM440 is quite sought after these days as people are finding out just how go it was.

The studio was based around an Atari ST1040 computer and the first program I used was called Super Conductor. It was the forerunner of cubase, but you could not drag and drop blocks, you had to tell it the number of copies of a block you wanted and where you wanted them to be copied. I also used the first Notator as well. The sampler was an Akai S950 and the monitors were Kef 104’s I think and Mission 770’s.

I recorded and produced loads of dance tracks in that studio. A lot of the first moving shadow was done there (Rob loved that Soundtracs desk) and stuff like shades of rhythm, a home boy a hippy and a funky dread, sub division, K class and loads more stuff.

In around 1992 I needed a bigger desk so had heard about the good reviews the Studio Master series 2 was getting. A panel of judges compared playing a CD though 2 channels against top SSL’s and Neve consoles. Most agreed that the series 2 sounded better so I heard or one for sale and bough OMD’s 40 input series 2. What the reviewers did not try was doing a mix. Yep it could make individual channels and instruments sound great, but couldn’t mix to save its life. Its what you find with many large budget consoles. They either make individual channels sound amazing but then can’t put many channels together to form a good mix, or them can make a good mix but sound bad. Enter the likes of top end SSL and Neve and you can get great individual channel sounds and a board that can mix great as well. I can't find the pics of the series 2 in my studio, but do have them somewhere.

So after about 1 year I sole the Studio Master and got my first Neve. It was a 40 input frame but only had 32 channel strips. It was an inline console, not split and had a route and patch computer with recall. This means it could save routings and channel patching but didn’t have flying faders or any automation.

Here’s a pic of my studio in about 1993. I also got a Studer 2” 24 track tape machine around that time.

This last pic is from a bit later when I got the Spendor monitors in.

The computers were two Atari ST4 Mega’s and I ran sound designer on it. Sound designer was an early form of pro tools. Even had a 20 gb HD wow. In 1995 I moved on to a Mac 7200 series. Some of the synths in that room were, Emulator 11, Sequential Prophet 5 and VS (the most amazing synth ever made), Roland Jupiter 6 and 8, Korg wave station, Oberhiem OBXa and OB8 and many more. At one time I had two Prophet VS’s as I loved them that much.       

I’ll get looking for some later studio pics with automated Neve V3’s with flying faders and even more synth madness.

Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 3:57pm
Totally unrelated to audio, but I've got one of those old Chloride UPSs (bottom of the stack of gear in the corner, last pic) sat on my desk here! It was still working up until a few weeks ago, when it started randomly switching the output off - not terribly helpful! It's now resigned to the task of being a monitor stand, alongside the Apple Mac LC which is under my second display...
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:21pm
I never had you down as a Thomas the Tank kinda guy!
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:25pm
LOL - just noticed that!
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 6:46pm
Along the same sort of lines of home-studio equipment,i dug this out of the garage at the weekend,just to test it,its an old Panasonic DAT recorder,i would think around the early 90's?..sounds really nice though,played some old DAT tapes Simon Harris gave me of some mixes he did with Pete Tong,and the quality is excellent,its as good as any CD i have heard.really nice peice of old kit.

Cant find much info on this online....maybe Panasonic didnt make many? dont know.

Be seeing you.
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:11am
still got my atari 1040s and 520 my first sampler was eidersoft mm1000 digital sampler used notation and cubase also ran amiga 1200 running bars and pipes smpte,d up to me tascam 8 track triggered by me yamaha dx7 stlll got lots of the old gear to much of a horder to sell it lol see if i can dig up some pics when i was skinny too lol
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:15pm
That's the first DAT I had, there were millions of them around in the early 90s.  I love 'em.  Don't have one anymore but still have my Tascam DA20 II which doesn't have balanced outs.

S  
DC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 9:48am
Here's my humble little studio... also a Sountracs desk but a Mega's Studio 36:16 and i absolutely love this console for it's sound. Also the summing is good. Before that i owned a Mackie 40:8 but the soundtracs blows the mackie away.
When i started i used a Yamaha CX5M, that was an MSX based computer on wich you only could edit in the scores. After that an Atari 1040st, running Pro24.. fore runner of Logic. Then switched to an Atari MegaST as well with a Megafile 20... wow... that was nice not booting from dodgy floppy's anymore but a large and noisy 20Mb harddrive and also running Cubase. Then switched to a PC Pentium 166Mhz with 128Mb memory when they became affordable plus an Emagic audiowerk 8 card wich featured 8 individual outputs to the desk. I still use that audiocard these days and got myself 2 extra ones for 24 outputs.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 8:38pm
where is the show off your current studio thread? 
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 11:11am
Simon Harris's home studio circa 1981.
Be seeing you.
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 6:56pm
@dc, how can you program your kit when its next to your shoes?
Sibulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sibulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 6:00pm
well my ''vintage'' studio, circa about 2002 (haha!) was

Roland TR909
Akai s3000xl
behringer Eurodesk mx2004
2 x alesis 3630
a dbx compressor, i forget what
yamaha rm1x
novation a station
novation b station
Virus
lexicon mpx500
and pair of NS10s