Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Showco PA with the Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Showco PA with the Who
    Posted: 16 June 2013 at 12:18pm
An interesting insight to large scale 70's PA systems.
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/pa/pa7576.html

and 80's...

Edited by Nachural - 16 June 2013 at 12:25pm
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 3:43pm
There's some great links on there also. Well worth a look.
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 5:11pm

Loudest Pop Group

The amplification for The Who concert at Charlton Athletic Football Ground, London, England, May 31, 1976, provided by Tasco PAsystem, had a total power of 76,000 watts from eighty 800 W Crown DC 300 A amplifiers and twenty 600 W Phase Linear 200’s. The readings at 50 m (164 ft) from the front of the sound system were 120 decibels. Exposure to such noise levels is known to cause PSH — Permanent Shift of Hearing or partial deafness.

http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 6:19pm
The Showco system was a bit of a joke in the trade in those days as it had no real bottom end at all, due to the fact that they were using K130 guitar speakers in all of their bass bins hence no real bass---Yes it was loud but one of the worst rigs that I have heard in my life.
The TASCO rig was just the opposite with lots of Gauss loaded 4560s---Plenty of real bass crossed over 5 way I think, so a very clean system but you could actually hear the drums up front in the mix for a change(he only used to tickle them really and was never a loud powerful drummer on stage).

Edited by Robbo - 16 June 2013 at 6:20pm
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 8:22pm
It's strange how PA systems have developed, in as much as there must be a ton of people who don't get excited looking at a Line Array as much as they do an old system of the seventies, where everything seemed to be exciting, and there's no proof that in spite of the so called improvements, that people enjoy the music anymore now than they did then, in fact there's probably more bad press about Line Array than there ever was about some of the old systems.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 8:43pm
What made me think Entec had a lot to do with The Who?

I was surprised that ML Exec were a Who Thing, as I was sure Entec, Marquee Audio etc were the boys...

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

I was surprised that ML Exec were a Who Thing, as I was sure Entec, Marquee Audio etc were the boys...

Love threads like this :)

Incidentally I used to work for Marquee Audio doing installs. Useless fact!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 8:59pm
You Mr TA-500/718, LS-9 & a KT Sq-One graph???

Smile
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Dick Hayes (Mr Entec) was FOH for The Who, where as the pa and equipment the band owned was hired out to others under the ML Exec company name.

Not sure where the Marquee audio lot are linked
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Incidentally I used to work for Marquee Audio doing installs. Useless fact!

Hopefully not the install at T** G****h**** in Bristol though... 'cause after Marquee had left I went through it and put all the Martin EM25's in the same phase... and connected the 1210 ground leads to the mixer... and turned the Speakon connectors in one of the bins so it was latched and working... etc etc, ad lib to fade!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

The Showco system was a bit of a joke in the trade in those days as it had no real bottom end at all, due to the fact that they were using K130 guitar speakers in all of their bass bins hence no real bass---

That thought had occurred to me also.

Presumably they were trying to take advantage of the light cone and higher mid band efficiency of the K130 over the K140 but as John rightly says their LF extension was somewhat limited when compared to the K140.

Seemed a strange choice in that application.

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Nutcracker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 9:21pm
Thanks to the OP for the thread, just spent a happy 2 hours reading about Pink Floyds live shows from a link on that page.
is it dark up there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>