Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shure M44-7 Head Cartridge feedback/hum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shure M44-7 Head Cartridge feedback/hum
    Posted: 05 February 2024 at 1:02pm
Does anyone have Shure M44-7’s? One of my Head Carts seems to be giving off a hum/feedback I’ve narrowed it down to the Head Cart. Got some new wires on the way but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced the same and solved the problem?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2024 at 1:14pm
If they are on 1200/1210s and you've swapped the headshells between the 2 deck, give the 4 gold spring contacts a good clean with alcohol and cotton buds.
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2024 at 6:20pm
Thanks I have tried that and no joy. I’ve ordered some new wires hopefully it’s that and not a shield problem as I’ve read that can happen. 
There’s little info on them now they’ve been discontinued other than comparisons to other Cartridges! 
Fingers crossed it’s the small wires and it doesn’t need replacing as I think only Jico have same Sound Profile & tracking force and they aren’t cheap! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 4:37pm
I think it must be the cartridge shield. 
As when I put some thin plastic between the bolt nut and cartridge it stops. The Nut on the Bolt touch the Cartridge so must be causing a loop on one which shield must be faulty. I have x2 and other is fine, going to order some nylon Bolt/Nuts rather than the thin plastic remedy I’ve used.
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 4:48pm
hi, hope it's ok to post this here but i am selling some really nice quality japanese shure M44 needle replacements.

they are around £40 each.

let me know if you want one :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 5:13pm
What’s the brand? I did some research when I was looking at replacements and reviews say that only ones that come close to imitating profiles of Shure are Jico?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 8:28pm
have you tried removing the four tiny wires between the needle and the headshell and squashing the connectors slightly to ensure a tight fit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 8:39pm
They feel tight but I’ll have a look cheers
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 10:12pm
Is it buzzing on both channels through the offending cart? The only problems I've ever had with 12s like that is a bad ground somewhere. Sometimes, it's just the headshell collar that needs tightening. It's all passive, so you can test continuity from cart to phono plug with a meter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 10:42pm
It is the head & cart as I’ve switched it from turntable to Turntable. They are Vestax PDX-2000. But I am wondering if it’s the headshell. Also bought some new wires just to do a bit of trouble shooting. I also have a Hum on one of the Channels on my Bass Amp which I have to troubleshoot too, makes me wonder whether it coincides with testing the headshell!

The Vestax PDX-2000 have been a quality turntable and both have been used up until about 3 years ago in a mixing configuration, I now have a Dub/Reggae configuration, so deck is on top of the mixer & amps but I’ve decided to set up the 2nd deck for cueing up album tracks and that’s when I noticed the issue so who knows maybe using more powerful amps/speakers one of the turntables had a grounding issue I hadn’t noticed on a home amplifier.

Anyway it all goes with the territory I suppose when it comes to phono!

Ps Good point about the Phono port on tester did not think to test the Turntable on it too! Will defo give that a go
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 12:05pm
Does the turntable have the earth removal trick applied, you should have red, white and a small earth cable?

Dupe...
Dupe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 5:14pm
Hi - What is the earth removal trick?

I will try it without the earth if that’s what you mean but the other turntable has same cart & is earthed and it is fine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>