Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Side-by-side setup.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side-by-side setup.
    Posted: 28 September 2019 at 2:40pm
Hi Guys.

Wondering if it would have any influence in performance if one was to build a HD215 in side-by-side configuration, and leave out the center divider?
Chamber would then be double the size of a single chamber. Or does it not work like that? 
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:31pm
there is definitely some writing about the acoustic coupling of these cabinets, supposedly they perform better in a block
i would hazard a guess there is some similarity in what you are proposing
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:24pm
If you remove the central divider, and decrease the width by the thickness of the wood, then it would be acoustically identical (assuming that both drivers were outputting the same).

I'm not sure of the audible impact of the reduction in top + bottom panel stiffness, but I suspect it would be fairly low.
 Post Reply Post Reply