Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signal or mixer problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signal or mixer problem?
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:28pm
Hi, I wonder if I could ask for some help with a problem I encountered in a bar last night where I was djing.
The bar has 2 x sets of speakers in the left and right corners, with a junction box that sends a signal via left and right phono jack to an amp behind the bar.
The amp has Channel A output to the left set of speakers and channel B output to the right set of speakers.
I brought my 2 x channel mixer and attached their 2 x technics decks to it.
I then plugged the phono leads via the mixers' 'monitor' l & r outputs (the master output on mixer uses xlr and the cable was phono so I had to use that output)
The problem was my left deck only produced a signal through the left speakers and the right deck only through the right speakers)??

I'm not sure whether mixer is at fault or the amp is not set correctly or what.. Confused.. Help please 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:38pm
What is the mixer? Does it have PAN and did you have that maybe set to L & R by accident?

In any case, best thing is to just try it out at home and see what happens.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:40pm
Maybe the monitor output replicates whats set for the headphones and it was set to split mix?

blah blah blah blah blah......
cutdown69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:57pm
the mixer is a Allen & Heah xone : 23
It doesn't have split mix or pan from what i can see

I usually connect it to a preamp before amp at home but have just bipassed preamp and put phono l & r ,(monitor) outputs into l & r input on amp and both left and right speakers working fine 
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:54pm
Could you have inadvertently wired the deck inputs into phono L and line L for deck A and phono R and line R on deck B?
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:27am
Originally posted by colinmono colinmono wrote:

Could you have inadvertently wired the deck inputs into phono L and line L for deck A and phono R and line R on deck B?

I did that once and it was the last time I had beer before setting up
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
cutdown69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:17am
im pretty sure I didn't, but then I do sometimes do stupid things so I can't rule it out. I think I'm going to take my mixer and another mixer down there to test them both. The owner agreed 20% of bar as a dj fee but is now holding it back as he thinks I may have damaged his system because of how it wasnt working properly 
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:44am
Yeah definitely sounds like a good idea to go down in daylight without the pressure of having to do the gig and trace through the problem. Was the signal path: Their technics -> your mixer -> venue junction box -> venue amp -> venue speakers?

Apart from the possibility of connecting the technics incorrectly into our mixer, it sounds like everything else is on the venue. 
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:48am
Originally posted by cutdown69 cutdown69 wrote:

The owner agreed 20% of bar as a dj fee

I know it’s a digression from the point of your post, but how does this work? I’ve never agreed work on this basis before. Do you get to see the till readings? Knowing what the target take is for some of the functions I do, I’d love that as a fee. 
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by cutdown69 cutdown69 wrote:

he thinks I may have damaged his system because of how it wasnt working properly 

I don’t see how you could have done, from the symptoms you described 
cutdown69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutdown69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:15am
yes it was only my mixer.. the rest was down to the venue. The owner (who wasn't around before gig and only showed for 5 x mins during the night) claims it  was workingperfectlybeforenn" Athough I think they just run itfromanipad which connects directly to a the amp

Re fee, yeah there's a bit of trust involved 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:23am
does sound 100% like you connected the turntables wrongly. the allen and heath have the phono sockets at 90 degrees to pioneers for example.. so if you were more used to them you could easily do it wrong. wouldn't worry about damage to the system based on this guess anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>