Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

silly question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: silly question
    Posted: 24 February 2009 at 8:22pm

Yesterday i saw a topic in where somebody built some down scaled 1850's to fit 15'' woofers. i've allready tried the search function but now i can't find the topic anymore. Is there anybody who could link me to the topic? help will be appreciated very much.

And another question, I've been modeling around with the 1850 to adapt it for 15'' woofers, and i don't know this for sure but I guess the best way to model it is as being an Hyperbolic catedonial horn right?

Best regards,
Teun.
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:53am
I'm not sure, there's a thread on here with lots of hornresp models in, it's got database in the title I think...

I'm sure the looney bin would be there, the thing is you can't choose a random 15" driver, you'd need the one with close specs to the pd1850 I imagine...

In hornresp, you'll need to keep the path length the same, but reduce the cross sectional areas, you may even have to re-fold.

Or...

You could throw caution to the wind and build the scaled down box with whatever driver you fancy and see how it sounds...

Your call. Wink
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 10:53am

don't get me wrong but i've read myself into a lot of information before even starting posting on this forum. i know you can't just scale it down and throw any speaker in it, i just want to build an 15'' horn that will have great output untill 45-50 hz in groups of four. now was there some guy on this forum who actuacllt did scale down the 1850 and modified it so the cross sections matched. he loaded them with eminence kappa 15-LFA ( i recognized them immediately on the pics), and i would like to contact him to ask which modifications he carried out as i can;t get my head around certain problems with the fold. the only problem is that i can't find his topic any more, so could anybody give a link to the topic if you knwo what it is?

btw, i have a wide variaty of speakers just laying around, so choosing one won't be the biggest problem. But i might be loading them with JBL 2226H, which is suited nicely for hornloaded cabs, and since i still have 8 I'll be building 4 cabs a side.

o yeah, and the data sim of the 1850 in hornrsp simulation topic is way off. how does the gut get to a horn path lenght of 2m10? and an horn mouth of 6000sq cm? it's only 4620Confused
and he sais it's an exponential horn, while it's actually more an hyperbolic catedonial hornLOL The sim of the 186 horn in that topic is way more reliable.
Best regards,
Teun.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:10pm
this is the thread with the 15" 1850 variants
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

this is the thread with the 15" 1850 variants

thank you very very muchWink
Best regards,
Teun.
 Post Reply Post Reply