Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small 2-way cabinet plans/ideas wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OpusPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small 2-way cabinet plans/ideas wanted
    Posted: 25 October 2007 at 10:06pm
Hello all! I have been asked if I could make 4 small cabinets for the local pub. And I am talking small! They are to be secured to the walls, and they want something like a hi-fi or studio monitor sized speaker (very general I know, but I would say 20" height, 15" width, depth whatever necessary), with a 8" or 10" driver and probably a piezzo tweeter, as price is a major issue.

I have explained that you cant achieve the impossible, ie get great sound, from a tiny cabinet, that costs peanuts. But the response was "well hi-fi speakers are small and sound good. We just want them to sound like that, but be much louder".

I think its a case of telling them to just go and buy something that they think will do the job, but first I would like to see if I can build anything.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some ideas or plans?

Thanks, Paul
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 11:08pm
Youre right they are somewhat deluded, youre the sound engineer they should stick to pulling pints

When they say "much louder" how much louder do you think they mean? Are they talking club loud? Forget it

Also you havent mentioned an exact budget so what I am going to suggest might be way off

You could go for something like a Volt dual concentric 8" in a box - talk to markie he has done a design like this thats full range but again aint gonna have serious lows, still only going to be loud background music volume.

Another alternative is to look at a design like a mini line array with lots of 4" drivers check out www.billfitzmaurice.com and look up the TLAH or the Short Line Array (SLA)

The more drivers the higher the sensitivity and the higher the power handling, BUT more drivers = more cost so choose your source well.

Either way there isnt a lot to choose from really, you either have to accept the volume limitations of an 8" or go for larger, more powerful, more expensive speakers. You cant expect miracles.

Just as an afterthought looking at your size specs perhaps half sized Omni 10s from Bill fitzmaurice site, 10" driver (hornloaded for better sensitivity) and 2-4 piezos per cab, no crossover required - cab geometry takes care of that.

Using Eminence Beta 10 £39 + 2x £2 = £43 of drivers plus the wood and fixtures and fittings = possibly just squeeze out around £80 a cab. Placing them in corners will help the bass response. But its a 20Wx16Dx14H" box is that too big?

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 25 October 2007 at 11:09pm
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
OpusPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OpusPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 11:30pm
Thats a big help Stu, thank you. That box size should be ok, and I had hinted to them that £100 per box would be the very cheapest price. I think I have a new Beta 10 burried somewhere in the garage, so I'll get on the case this weekend, and build one cabinet to get an idea. As you say, you cant expect miracle results at this level of budget and size, but its all extra building experience for me.

Will go have a look at Bill fitzmaurice now.

Cheers Stu!
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2007 at 11:45pm
Alternative of course is the Deltalite 2510 but unless you really need to get the weight down the Beta 10 does just as well

I have been quite happy with the box - see my hybrid version of it here

If youre in my area (Bournemouth - Dorset) you can have the MDF prototype to test out, otherwise its a pretty cheap build.

PM me your email for more details/photos etc.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 25 October 2007 at 11:52pm
All you need to know is:

My acts:
HansA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HansA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 12:21am
What about a 10-12" coaxial?
�*�o�O�o�*�*: HansA, The FUBAR sound technician :*�*�o�O�o�*�
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 12:14pm
At the level you're talking there is actually very little benefit to building cabs.  You can't make them any cheaper than you can buy them ready-made.

Someone on here is selling a set of 5 RCF Monitor 8's for a bargin price.  I'd recommend just using something like that.  Bluearan have some new Proel install cabs again for way cheaper than you can build them.

Sad but true....

HansA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HansA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 12:19pm
Good point Ceharden.
�*�o�O�o�*�*: HansA, The FUBAR sound technician :*�*�o�O�o�*�
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 12:21pm
The benefit is getting more bang for your buck - the average 8" is under 95dB av. sensitivity the horn loaded 10" is 100dB, which is a huge difference when talking about overall SPL - dont forget they wanted loud not just background music volume

RCF Monitor 8s, JBL Control 1s, those sorts of cabs have their benefits for background music but I dont think without a decent sub they are going to cut it for loud reproduction.

Maybe we can get some more info if Paul posts better details of the size of the room?

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
 Post Reply Post Reply