Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Distro Meters -Was 32A Distro Build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:06am
Yeah, gotta say, tidy...

I run the neon rig unfused (like 0.1mm Cable, in a dead short @ 32a (0.5KA in my tests) becomes vapour, I would put a 1A dump fuse into the 240V feed on these babies...

But, that said, for what they cost  I can't knock either...

whichever your choose, i would also add the neons.....

Smile
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:15am
I'm using a Kelsey distro so I have the 3 neons on there, I'll just need to open it up and put the CT inside. Then I'll mount the meter on a 2 u blank panel on the front of the rack.
100% Earth Moving Bass
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:20am
You will easy get the meter onto a 1U blank, Use a bit of MT4 trunking with end stops to cover the back of your meter..
You need 5G0.75 cable, all glanded up to export P+N+the 2 Ct lines and make bloddy sure your eart bond your extra panel....
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:27am
Shag, do you mind letting me know what rack case you used for that project?

Ta.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:33am
Ah even better if it'll fit on a 1u! And I was thinking of using a small plastic electronics type box to cover the back of the meter with proper gland on for the cable,and then possibly some sort of mains rated 6 pole connector that I could fit to the Kelsey somewhere to connect the 2 together and be detachable should I ever need to take things out of the rack.
100% Earth Moving Bass
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 1:43am
Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

Shag, do you mind letting me know what rack case you used for that project?

Ta.
Wat the hell do think this is???

A place to share????

I flipped the rack mounts to give me max stength on the 32A in (didn't work out-right used m5 washersto pack the m4 screws)....

It is F**king tight, like  I had to do 3d CAD to fit the stuff in, I used nasty cutting washers to make grounding and I am gonna silicone out everything befor I ship it...

LOL

Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 2:14am
Wonder who in the world this distro could possibly be for? :P

Looking great man and pretty excited to see it in my rack and get it used!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 9:31am
I like it. I have a space in my rack for a 1U bit of kit so I think at some point I shall be knocking together something involving one of those meters. Probably the CCM as I never use my kit on generators.

Distro will only be a tiny one, couple of amps and an omnidrive so should be able to fit it all into 1u, will be interesting to find out.
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 12:02pm
Well, seeing as we are talking meters here, how about this badboy.....

http://uk.farnell.com/hobut/m850-mp1/meter-multifunction-blue-led/dp/1758713

You can get a dedicated CT for it, and if you look at the price compared to similar meters its pretty cheap. Nice thing is you can measure phase-phase voltage too. From a quality brand as well.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 12:20pm
Still considerably more expensive than the tested meters, depends on your required accuracy and reliability. For non mission-critical monitoring I'd still go cheap.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by VentureSound VentureSound wrote:

Well, seeing as we are talking meters here, how about this badboy.....

http://uk.farnell.com/hobut/m850-mp1/meter-multifunction-blue-led/dp/1758713

You can get a dedicated CT for it, and if you look at the price compared to similar meters its pretty cheap. Nice thing is you can measure phase-phase voltage too. From a quality brand as well.

I've had my eye on one of those for a while. Will need a 3U panel though...
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2012 at 6:16pm
Nice, does PF as well which is VERY handy, even with 3 x CT it's still not mega bucks (Like £160 inc Vat) and the CCM to do the same job would cost £75 by the time you have a small PSu in there too...

Bit OTT for an amp rack distro, that more for a 63A or a 125A distro IMHO....

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>