Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

small rig opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: small rig opinion
    Posted: 28 February 2020 at 4:33pm
i have spoke to someone and they said this type of rig will be fine for 50-100 people
he said "2x186, a pair of 15"kicks(hds,megatons etc) and a simple reflex ported 12" and 1")
can anybody explain what a simple reflex ported 12" and 1" is? and also would this type of mini rig sound good for reggae,jungle and drum and bass
any help is highly appropriated! 
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 4:34pm
adding to that, could anyone recommend me a amplifier that could power something like this 
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 4:38pm
Im assuming this is for outside use? 
Ive got a MTH30 and Void Mycro 8 setup that covers that amount of people for inside use - admittedly not at crazy levels LOL

Originally posted by scottyb scottyb wrote:

can anybody explain what a simple reflex ported 12" and 1" is? and also would this type of mini rig sound good for reggae,jungle and drum and bass

Have a look at the 'X' range here https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=midtopplans 

Edited by IainB - 28 February 2020 at 4:40pm
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 4:51pm
so lets say the "x12" is a good example of what he means?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by scottyb scottyb wrote:

i have spoke to someone and they said this type of rig will be fine for 50-100 people
he said "2x186, a pair of 15"kicks(hds,megatons etc) and a simple reflex ported 12" and 1")

That is some bad advice if i ever saw any. 186 horns cut off at around 60 hz, you will miss one octave of the lowest notes. Furthermore the 186 itself is a very potent kick horn. No point in having ANOTHER, inferior kick horn.

It would also be a nightmare for a novice to align properly. As a noob, you will probably screw it up.

For your size of events, just go bass reflex, use high performance drivers with enough power. Less is more, and will be louder! Build some proven single  15" or 18" bass reflex bins for a start. Buy used tops, no point in building yourself. Use that rig, have fun, listen to others, compare, then change it up or expand. Dont try to do too mich or too complicated stuff at once. Give yourself some time to learn and gather experience.  

many of those big pile of random speaker rigs are actually shit, because the owners dont have a clue, and their main criterion is just to have a big pile. 

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 3:38pm
Ohm trs would fit the bill
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 4:31pm
what do you mean by bass reflex? type of music i will be playing is reggae, jungle, DNB and ragga. From what i have read on a few posts some types of bassbins are not good for drum and bass, i am very new to all this and young and no one can seem to give me a straight answer, but then again it might be hard to give a straight answer but i would not know. i don't want to be spending out loads of money either and i know this is a problem in building rigs as high quality driver and hardware costs a lot, but a rig for 50-150 people would not cost that much ( at least that is  what i think). i will not be making any money from the party i am doing because its not an event.
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 4:32pm
also thank you for that information, does help out a lot!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 9:53pm
For starters, go to the "plans" section of the speakerplans.com homepage, and have a good look at each one. Read the descriptions carefully. Then check the section with readers system pictures. Then read the faq section. 

A lot of information just on this site. Please take into account that people expect you to "do your homework". 
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 10:13pm
now that you explain it like that i get it, sorry just a bit new to all this and don't understand much that gets said, just young and  trying to get into sound. had a look at the g sub and seems like that will be good for my use. but now i have a question thats not on the FAQ. would happens if i put lets say 2 g subs and 2 hog scoops together or is that pointless.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 10:47pm
You just want one box type in each passband, you don't want to mix different designs in a single frequency range. 

When you start out, keep it as simple as possible, just sub and tops in my opinion. only add more in as you feel you need to, but don't think a pile of decent reflex is going to not sound as good just because you didn't have seperate kicks or horn loaded subs. it'll be easier and decent reflex sounds great. Just a couple of g subs will give a heavy enough output at a high enough level to bring a smile to your face. 

bob4 is the forums resident clairvoyant and his comment above about piles of mixed boxes... it's answering your question before you asked it.
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2020 at 10:51pm
Alright so we have come to the conclusion of 2 g subs and a couple of tops will do me fine for my first mini rig and first built.
Shame I couldn’t have two hog scoops I love the look of them 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>