Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small room - 1 hog a side

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small room - 1 hog a side
    Posted: 05 November 2018 at 8:59pm
After a bit of advice, got a gig on Friday the room is not very big maybe 3m wide and maybe 9m long. Usually I would stack the hogs in a pair but due to the roof beams I’m a bit limited in stacking options.

I was thinking of running 1 hog a side (upto 80hz) in each corner, and a stack of 2 Cubo kicks in the centre. Am I right in thinking the hogs will still couple at these distances? Or would I best be working out another stacking configuration?

Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 7:07am
80hz is 4.25m wavelength
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 8:55am
Why don't you just make a centre stack of 4 cubos/hogs with long sides to the floor. I always preferred a centre bass stack where I could deploy it that way.
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 9:15am
That would be the ideal but it would obscure the view of the Dj booth which the promoters aren’t keen on.

The other option I am thinking is have a is to group it all together option but stick the cubos in between the hogs to avoid the beam. Brilliant paint skills below to demonstrate.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 9:18am
I'm putting 2 stasys X and 2 primes into the same space the day after Shocked
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 9:50am
Mono block it on one side. You aren’t getting stereo in that setup with those reflections anyways. Hell, do it away from the DJ.

Also coupling occurs with walls and floors too within 1/4 to 1/3 wavelength. You’ll be fine.

Edited by toastyghost - 06 November 2018 at 9:50am
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 12:22pm
Well, once I used my HOG's in my friends living room which is quite similar in size. One hog in each corner of shorter wall, not good at all!   One hog in center of longer walls (1 / side) made things better.
Hog scoops (and actually every horn subs) are not good for small indoor spaces in general.  You need to carefully try different positions to acchieve best possible results.

dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 1:39pm
Usual mono stack it is,will have to get inventive with the stacking to avoid the beams
ash pegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash pegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 11:07pm
So how did you end up stacking? Got any pics of the set up/gig?
don't forget the cables
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 11:25am
Ended up with a mono stack with the tops on the hogs with a gap in between due to the beam. The front of the hogs had a slight gap/splay as well. Also added a wedge underneath the rear of the tops to try angle the HF under the beam a bit more. Sounded pretty good but didn’t look the prettiest.

Didn’t bother with the cubos due to the Amp they were on shooting arcs of electric out of the power supply when it was plugged in. There’s a courier claim ongoing for this haha.

Edited by dnbpc - 14 November 2018 at 11:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply